Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] for 2015

Page 1 / 3

(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

I know this is early but just wanted to give more Tim and Martin a heads up as to the storyline that me and Lardy discussed previously.
We set the series of events up so as to be a series of battles based around one common theme. this also meant that we were not restricted to one type of site as we had game ideas for different types of site.

So the timeline of events was about three or four dependent on interest:

Part 1 - Initial stages of Barbarossa - Luga River Line
Part 2 - Encirclement of Leningrad - Operation Nordlicht

Part 3 - Assault on the city - TBA
Part 4 - The road of life TBA
Part 5 - Breaking of the siege - TBA

so obviously we would be looking now to go to a site with more urban possibilities to simulate the attack on the city, so if anyone has idea for sites etc. ideally we want to keep within our midland corridor location wise but obviously if the right site comes up then we will have to consider.

I am going to try and strike while the iron is hot and see if we can get some more structure to the Russian forces, even if it is only a list of who has available kit that way we can see exactly where our limits of size lay.

As for dates obviously we have October booked but think it may be a good idea to think of possibility of training day to get more use out of especially Russian load outs so some more people will be more inclined to get involved. I am sure we could have a word with the 34th guys and see possibility of fireball as it really has to be a very cheap option. May also use it as the training day and have that stuff in the morning and then small combat missions in the afternoon. Can even link the outcome of this to have some bearing on the main event in October.

I am just throwing the ideas out for now so mull over and if your get any light bulb moments then share them.

Topic starter Posted : 13/10/2014 2:59 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

Urban sites are really hard, the only two I can really think of in the right area are Anzio (which I guess FAO will charge a fortune for) and that one Yith & Craig ran 'Patton Stalled' at, the old army base. The latter would be suitable for smaller numbers but I've no idea if it is still running or not.

wrt training stuff, as I said at the weekend, I think you are better off running something like that as a seperate event, I also thought the Fireball site would be good, the only drag is that you can't do overnight (or can you?). It doesn't have to be for 'teams' , it is just about developing some concepts and skills.

Although I enjoyed running around as Leutnant Fricke, if this game series is the only chance I'm ever going to get to wear my Russian kit then I would like to join the heroic defenders of the motherland next time, however we can cross that bridge when we come to it. I think Josh has given up on EF WW2 games. Yith has pretty much lost interest after Pavlovs and AGS were disheartened by the low takeup for their game, but maybe Porta will get something together. Anyway, October 2015 is a long way off.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2014 3:20 pm
(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

We are a bit limited in terms of urban sites, especially if we are trying to stick to the midlands and on a budget. As there was very little proper street fighting perhaps site wise it need not be a full on urban site, although it would be nice. A mixed site with buildings and woodland to represent the suburbs might be the best option.
The close action site that CiA used for merville may be a good option as long as it is still running. We shouldn't have a conflict of interest this time.

Scenario wise something around the Neva river, close to the city would be a good choice. I believe there was naval infantry involved there too.

I like the idea of trying to build up the Soviet forces and getting people more involved. Its tricky to do with so few events so a training day might help, if we can get people along. A mixed training/'exercise' event might be a good way to do it if we can get a very cheap site like fireball.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2014 8:14 pm
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

I think it would be a bit blind to not try and build on the success of the event.
We had even more new soviet players than the first so it is growing especially within the 34th group so to have a day at their site would only encourage more to come over.
Also this will allow us to maybe look at a bigger site, because its never and issue filling German places for an event but Russian.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/10/2014 9:14 pm
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

Spoke with Chris and Martin about use of fireball. Know what their calendar is and offer is £10 a head.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/10/2014 10:18 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

A mixed training/'exercise' event might be a good way to do it if we can get a very cheap site like fireball.

That sounds like a plan to me, especially if we can get Fireball for a tenner a head.

Do a day event, training in the morning and practice the battle drills in the afternoon. Need to have a think about what to cover as it may restrict numbers (or the numbers may restrict what we can do!).

Early next year maybe? Kie, could you post up or link to the Fireball calendar?

wrt the next battle, if we are going to do the Neva river and outskirts of the city, how about Grange airsoft? It has a river and a nice mix of terrain, including a few built up areas, woods, 'cornfields', a rough hills/balkas.

Cheers
Martin

Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2014 8:21 am
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

Right regarding date was thinking looking at the event organisers dates it got to be either Feb or June, I know Feb has got a date penciled in but its a southern based recruitment day so naturally will get the crowd it gets. Could even only advertise it through the Facebook group and not even put it on here. and every other month has an event apart from June and July but July is pretty booked up for the site.

As for days in the month the middle of each is open according to what Chris has told me.

Was thinking along the lines of the Operations weekends Josh used to run. More about getting to know and work better as a squad so anything you have out of the training set up that relates to that will be a good fit I guess. As it will only be a tenner a head we can make a decision whether we may add say a fiver on top and that way build more into the pot for the main October event.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/10/2014 11:52 am
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

If there is anything in the deep south, particularly intro events, I don't think we need to worry about clashes.

I have heard of the Operations weekends but never done one, so how do they work? is there a structured timetable, what sort of things do you do? I can't say if the Training Day stuff would map onto it (the TD stuff was things that CiA have run in the past) if I don't know what it is.

Cheers
Martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2014 8:56 am
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

OK, had a look at some of the CiA archive info on operations days so got an idea what it is about.

Are we still up for February Ops Day? I'm guessing 'mid Feb' for Fireball means 14 Feb or 21 Feb. Any thoughts, or have we left it too late?

Cheers
Martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2014 4:54 pm
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

I think maybe we have left it a bit late for Feb, and also seen as nobody yet has put anything forward for June may that be a better option, takes one of the notorious months and will not be treading on any feet at all. Will ask the question on the organisers section to see what mood is like.
Think June will be good as it splits the year in half etc. for having a Russian game
What do we reckon? Can everyone check diaries for any conflicts and the like.
Also who is going to the game at Close action? can maybe sound the guys out face to face regards next year? would go but got Josh's game this weekend so am out for that one.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/12/2014 7:38 am
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

Is June a hard month? July/August yes as so many people are on holiday.

Anyway, so far I'm OK for the weekends of the 6th, 20th and 27th June 2015. Might be better to go for later June so they is a gap from Kasserine.

Close Action might be a bit more pricey than Fireballs tenner! I can't go to the Bulge game, family event that weekend.

Cheers
Martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/12/2014 9:25 am
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

Close action was to ask for next October Martin, still go to fireball for June no doubt.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/12/2014 9:32 am
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

Right am seeing what porta has in line for June. He Saud may do eastern front etc.
Am now going to close action so will find out what score is if we are happy to pursue.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/12/2014 7:26 pm
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

Response from close action regards 2015. tell me thoughts and we can get this booked done and out of the way and deffo date up on the calendar.

'Hi Kieran

That date should be fine. We would require £20 per head as this is our standard walk on fee and helps cover our costs of rental and insurance. This is the same price we charged the comrade in arms folk too.

If you wish to pursue the booking by all means pop along for a recce at some point. We will be holding another ww2 day in a couple of months so that might be the ideal opportunity.

Hope this helps

Regards

Tony'

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/12/2014 1:14 pm
(@prideofengland)
Noble Member

Sorry getting confused is this for training or game day?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2014 2:32 pm
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

This is for game day mate, cannot confirm for training day as yet as their are still some irons in the fire and am waiting to hear back of relative people.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/12/2014 3:17 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

OK, well lets get it booked for the game at least. It is a decent site and I am sure it will work for Leningrad.

Did we have a specific date in mind for the game? I am OK for October at present, and much of September.

It would be good to get the training day at Fireball in for June too. So far i'm good for any June weekend day except 13/14th.

Cheers
Martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2014 4:34 pm
(@prideofengland)
Noble Member

Yes go for October

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2014 5:25 pm
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

Right exact date wise is for the 17th Oct.
couple of reasons for this, first weekend of October there is one of Josh's flying lead games so that will be Lardy booked up and second weekend is my 40th so will be family and party commitments then.

With regards training day, June is still in the books but it all depends on Porta. He was floating the idea of a game around that month which maybe an eastern front one so messaged him a while ago to see if he was still going ahead but have had nothing back as of yet and I don't want to tread on a solid organiser. everyone is free to try and contact him to get the ideas of what his plans are.

All help to move forward will be good.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/12/2014 8:48 am
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

Right exact date wise is for the 17th Oct.

OK, in the diary.

wrt Portas potential game, probably best not to wait too long to the hear back. He has lots of good ideas but real life often seems to get in the way.

Cheers
Martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2014 12:35 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: