Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] DIY Newey Popper Studs - A 'McVickers' Guide.  

McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Got any nice Brit' kit which has suffered from repro' Newey studs falling to bits, or genuine kit where the original studs have become damages or fallen off with age? Perhaps you have made some repro' or custom kit yourself and want to add realistic Newey style studs? Well, here's my how to guide to DIY'ing your own Newey looking studs:

1. Buy some 15mm diameter brass popper stud fasteners. The type I used were made by "Prym" who sell them in packs of 10 (including the cutting and fitting tools), and can be found in sewing shops for a bit over £5 a pack [First item in pic']. Take a popper stud head and turn a hole through the head approx 7mm diameter on a lathe [Second item in pic']. Keep cutting through until the middle with the crimping shaft gets cut out. Turn out a larger 8-9mm diameter hole half the depth of the popper stud head [Third item in pic']:

-- attachment is not available --

2. Buy some 12mm diameter hammered/dappled 'Jeans Rivet' from the same sewing shop, these are a small hand-full for a quid [First item in pic']. Turn one over [Second item in pic'] and insert a small flattened spring washer (to be used purely as a spacer) and then insert the cut-out middle of the popper stud head. Bend the spikey bits of the Jeans rivet in a little to hold the washer and middle in [Third item in pic']:

3. Inset the Jeans rivet assembly into the stud/popper head and splay the Jeans rivet spikey bits out to hold both items tightly together. They're steel, and so won't bend back out easily and rigidity of assembly is good, but you can solder these spikey bits to the inside of the stud/popper head for added strength (not shown in pic'):

Scroll down past Ramsay's post to continue reading the guide!....
(Because I've updated this guide (09.03.2013) with pictures again after the original picture server I used disappeared!)

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

Ramsay00105
(@ramsay00105)
Honorable Member

All damn clever stuff.
Moved here as most relevant to British Kit

15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ReplyQuote
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

4. Ta-da! Your Newey style stud is made:

5. Affix as described in the instructions provided by the manufactures to you item of choice:

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Share: