9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Glenlivet45
(@glenlivet45)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I just got a Jungle Green Battle Dress Jacket from Replicators. The (wood?) buttons seem a bit strange, is this button pattern correct?

:?: :?: :?:

WW2 USMC & Imperial Japanese Army Collecting / Airsoft Blog

Posted : 04/04/2012 9:14 pm
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

No, it should be coconut shell buttons like the ones on the left in this photo:

The ones on the left are original WWII ones, the ones on the right are repros I tried to make myself from a coconut... it's bloody hard stuff and the cutter kept on slipping!

The reason he's gone for wooden is because the coconut ones just don't seem to be available except as original.

If I remember right they are 13mm diameter, so his wooden buttons are also too big.

Plastic buttons are also an option.

Posted : 04/04/2012 9:20 pm
Glenlivet45
(@glenlivet45)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Great info! :good:

The buttons are 15mm so yes they are too big. I will try and find substitutes

Posted : 04/04/2012 9:33 pm
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

Good luck!

Please report back on your success or failure!

Posted : 04/04/2012 9:47 pm
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

I've also tried the two holes ones, drilling an extra two holes with a hobby drill. They looked a bit dodgy as all the buttons had holes in different places.

BTW, the back of the originals is as rough as anything and the thicknesses do vary. Only the front is shaped nicely.

As to how they were originally made, it must be some sort of lathe thing.

I cut the disks for mine using a plug cutter. Normally used to cut little cylinders of wood used to fill in screw holes.

There was a chap I met who had successfully made repro ones, but I've not seen him for years and have no contact details.

Posted : 05/04/2012 9:24 am
Glenlivet45
(@glenlivet45)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

OK no luck, even went to to several shops which specialize on fabric, buttons and stuff. They had hundreds of buttons,
but no coconut buttons that look like the originals Yith posted :cry:

Posted : 19/04/2012 11:20 am
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

Necro-Repro-Post

...the coconut ones just don't seem to be available except as original.

OK no luck, even went to to several shops which specialize on fabric, buttons and stuff. They had hundreds of buttons,
but no coconut buttons that look like the originals Yith posted :cry:

To all who want correct looking coconut buttons for their JG shirts -

-- attachment is not available --

8 off 12.5mm/13mm diameter four-hole rimmed coconut shell buttons £4.80 + pnp (only 60p per button!)

Or I can offer one or two individual buttons (to replace missing ones on original shirts, etc) for a bit more of a premium (probably around the 80p to £1 mark). I only have a limited amount of these four-hole and rimmed genuine coconut shell buttons - not wood or plastic lookalikes!

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

Posted : 05/06/2014 11:03 am
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

They're not 100% the shape the originals were, but they're pretty damn close! Closest I've seen yet!

Original buttons on the left, my attempts on the right.

Posted : 05/06/2014 6:46 pm
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

Yes, their notte exactly like the ones you posted up, but after extensive cross-continent searching, these are the closest I've yet found, so beggers can't be choosers, eh?

if anyone is really that fussed, then the inner radius of the rim can be turned down on a lathe.

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

Posted : 06/06/2014 11:53 am
Share: