Notifications
Clear all

Pith helmets

Colosseum
(@colosseum)
Estimable Member

For whatever silly reason I've been fascinated with pith helmets for quite some time. I recently had a cheap IMA-USA reproduction Wolseley (which I believe was manufactured in Vietnam), and from what I could tell it was quite historically inaccurate. I ended up accidentally falling into it the other day while cleaning house and it got crushed, so I'm in the market for a new pith helmet. I'm really only interested in Wolseleys, and from what I've been told, the WPG repros are alright, if a bit green. I'm going to order from Jerry anyway so I figured I might as well throw a pith helmet on top of it all.

My question is this: before I buy, is there anything specific I need to know about Wolseleys before I drop the money?

I've also got an academic question. Does anyone know what the hell these helmets are called??:

I've seen them referred to as pith helmets, solar topees, etc but never any specific pattern or model number.

Thanks!

Topic starter Posted : 01/07/2011 9:33 pm
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

Pith Helmets are cool!! (forget fez's and bow ties, it's all about the pith!)

Those in the photo are cawnpore helmets. Also known as the solar pith helmet. I've been after one for a while, but the only originals I've found have been tiny and nobody does a repro that I am aware of.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2011 9:41 pm
Colosseum
(@colosseum)
Estimable Member

The picture was labelled "British troops in Baghdad, 1939", but the label could be wrong.

Quick wiki search reveals this: "Later this style of hat became associated with colonial oppression and was slowly abandoned by the military, government, traffic police..etc. "

Sounds like what I'm looking for! :P Unfortunately I can find none of these hats for sale, except through here: http://www.armysurplus.com/britisharmytypecawnpore.aspx

Not sure about the retailer and for such a cheap price I have a feeling they are a shit Vietnam repro.

I think I'm just going to buy the WPG Wolseley and be done with it!!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/07/2011 10:29 pm
(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Also called a Solar Toupee from the old French word for top.
Edit: oops you already knew that...

Why would it be Bombay? There's a bridge in the background so they are presumably in an estuary. Bombay harbour looks nothing like that. Plus every tourist pic from the water invariably has the Gate in it somewhere. Baghdad is much more likely given the minarets on the skyline

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2011 8:25 am
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

I've been after a Cawnpore for ages too! Can't find any decent replica at all....

These pics of the Manchester Reg' seen to show more 'rounder' and taller versions, yet not piths:

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2011 3:20 pm
Colosseum
(@colosseum)
Estimable Member

Vickers! A man's machine gun!

With pith helmets to top it off. Who needs MOLLE gear and ACU when you could be wearing khaki drill and webbing from the 30s??

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/07/2011 4:48 pm
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately Lawrence Ordnance no longer stock the nice tan wolsley like I have... :(

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2011 8:03 pm
Colosseum
(@colosseum)
Estimable Member

Well, I've just ordered a Wolseley from WPG. It should get in here within the week and I plan to do a detailed review to post here!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/07/2011 1:31 pm
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

Necro-post Update!

The company which produces the 'zulu' style piths and the French type, are now producing Wolesley shaped ones as well!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400527169699&var=670116317464&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

They don't have the layered fabric band, just a single flat band around the crown - but when you're up on your camel, who's going to notice?

-- attachment is not available --

For £19.99-£24.99 (depending where you buy it), it's pocket money for such an iconic look.

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2014 9:53 am
Ramsay00105
(@ramsay00105)
Honorable Member

Thanks for the link!

15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2014 1:39 pm
Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

You can get Pugarees from e-bay too.

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2014 10:20 am
Ramsay00105
(@ramsay00105)
Honorable Member

Mine has arrived and seems not bad for some WD and Far East airsoft.

15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/03/2014 3:57 pm
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

Funnily enough, the cheapest place I've found selling these Wolesely type helmets on eBay is... ....SOF! :o

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2014 12:17 am
Colosseum
(@colosseum)
Estimable Member

Glad to see such a cool necro post!

I've had my WPG Wolseley for over 3 years now (how time flies), but have never worn it to an airsoft game... the requirement here in the USA for full-sealing goggles makes it difficult as most goggles will not fit with something like a pith helmet.

I'm interested in the "Cawnpore Tent Club" style helmets as well, but can never seem to find them for sale (especially repros).

Here's quite an interesting website for those of us interested in the sun helmet: http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/03/2014 4:32 pm
Share: