Notifications
Clear all

Couldn't resist!

Page 2 / 2

McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

Dear McVickers.. I never thought it was a mith that Patchets were used at Arnhem.. I thought that the field trial was a fact.. Please forgive me but even if one Patchet was used at Arnhem there is still a link... Please Pm me with details about your findings.
Kind Regards Chris..

As far as I know, the field trial of the Pratchetts is a fact. They field trailed 100 of them by giving them to a load of paras (men who were known to be chosen as being brutish and a little unhinged) and let them use them ("try to break them"?) on training manoeuvres in England - this we know as fact. It would be very unlikely to risk giving a whole regiment, who were just about to be a main part in a very crucial and deciding Operation, weapons that had not been proven reliable. The Germans were extremely thorough in documenting all aspects of the British equipment seen and captured at Arnhem, and there is apparently no mention whatsoever of a new or experimental SMG. Of the few photos taken by locals, no photos show Pratchetts either. Predominantly MkV STENs with what look like either MkII or MkIII STENs also. Where quite a lot of the current influx of belief behind this lays the Osprey title "The Paras". In this book there is a reference in the text and also one of their colour illustrations of a South Staffs soldier using the weapon. Osprey books have never been known for their complete factual accuracy.

But regardless of the link or not, it's a very nice looking airsoft replica. What's the gearbox inside it? Same as what's used in the STEN?

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 11:03 pm

(@tommy9151)
Reputable Member

From what I know, it was considered rather inferior since it had a few deficiencies, the most prominent being that when used with a sling, it had the tendency to poke you in a very irritating way. Another that is mentioned is that if dropped, it performs what is normally called "The Sten Gun Dance", where it begins to discharge all ammunition inside its magazine and the force makes it spin round, necessitating the need for soldiers in the vicinity to jump up to dodge the incoming fire, unless they wanted their feet to resemble Swiss cheese.

However, this is NOT from personal experience.

Weapons:
King Arms M1928 Thompson Submachine Gun
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 11:05 pm

cdfw
 cdfw
(@cdfw)
Reputable Member

Bugger!!!! I will stick to the Mk5 Sten for my Welbike at Arnhem then.. Shame really because the airsoft Sterling is a thing of beauty.. It is well balanced and shoots well... To be honest out of all of my guns, it is my favourite out of many... But only just after my silenced Sten with a pistol grip..!!

'Non adepto demens. Adepto etiam'
War does not show who is right, only who is left..

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/12/2014 11:30 pm

(@tommy9151)
Reputable Member

Don't worry, sir. You have a Mk. V, what more could you wish for!?

Apart from a Lee Enfield that costs at most £200 postage paid... A Bren that's at most £300 postage paid... Rifle grenades, uniforms that cost £100 for everything... Basically everything in 5 star quality for the charge you need to use a toilet at a bus station.

Weapons:
King Arms M1928 Thompson Submachine Gun
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 11:44 pm

Page 2 / 2

Share: