13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Colonel Tigh117
(@colonel-tigh117)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi all,

I post something a week or so ago about jackboots, i had a lot of good feedback that will deferentially help me in making a decision in what to get,

In the short term (until i can afford jack boots) i decided to get some gaiters to better improve the look of my current low boot, used them for the first time last Sunday, i was pleased with the look/feel of them,

Lately i have noticed though that some German player wear puttees, is there such a thing as a better choice? puttees or gaiters? or does it just come down to preference!? i might be mistaken but i thought puttees were more of a first world war thing!?

Thanks

Posted : 30/04/2015 9:35 am
dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

Puttees are less comfortable and harder to put on ,the British stopped using them as it was thought to restrict blood flow to the feet causing increased threat of frostbite ,gangrene etc .
I'm not knowlegable about the German use of puttees during the war but Gaiters are perfectle acceptable for WW2 airsoft for other than very early war .

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

Posted : 30/04/2015 10:21 am
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

Puttees in WW2 were primarily a Gebirgsjager (mountain troops) thing. Being Germans, they invented an impossibly complex single piece buckle to go on the tapes, rather than just tucking them in. Some of the game regulars like to wear GJ uniforms (and puttees).

In WW1, German infantry wore knee high puttees later in the war instead of jackboots. You occasionally see German WW2 troops with these, but they are very rare and a bit of a Stosstrupp affectation.

I have seen the odd photo of Afrika Korps solders wearing short puttees to keep the sand out of their boots, but I suspect these were liberated British ones (British shorts and hose tops were worn with either short puttees or anklets).

The British dumped knee high puttees before WW2, but retained short ankle puttees for use in some theatres and they were also worn with DMS boots well into the 1980s (lots of photos of soldiers in the Falklands wearing them, if they aren't wearing private purchase walking gaiters). iirc they were re-introduced for general use with 58 pattern webbing (as 37 and 44 pattern had anklets). The short puttees give far better ankle support than anklets imho, but when the British Army got proper high combat boots (BCH, Assault or whatever)the need for such support disappeared.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.
Arnhem3,Gumrak,Campoleone

Posted : 30/04/2015 11:51 am
(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

You could also get a pair of "ringed" grey wool socks for a tenner and tuck yer trews in them.
Perfectly orfentic for late war Heer.

Posted : 30/04/2015 12:26 pm
Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member

Thread necromancy!
I'm getting a Gerby loadout together but I can't seem to find puttees anywhere. Any ideas of where to get a pair would be appreciated as far as I'm aware I've searched all the usual suspects.

Posted : 29/01/2017 2:47 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

I just wear old British Army short puttees, of the type issued between about 1960 and 1985 (and very similar to those used in WW2 with KD shorts) and designed for use with DMS boots.

I'm pretty sure Epic has some of those. You could get some of the longer ones (which Epic have certainly got) but that is an extra few feet of cloth to wrap around.

Cheers
Martin

Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

Posted : 29/01/2017 3:41 pm
TheChef
(@thechef)
Prominent Member

The only place I know that does GJ puttees with buckles is Schuster - http://schusters.ru/en/shop/germany-193 ... s-3-detail

German

Russian

British

Japanese

Posted : 29/01/2017 9:34 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

I think Steinlager (?) made up a load of the buckles a few years back. I got mine from him

You certainly don't need buckles with puttees, just tuck the straps in like the British, Japanese, Russians and WW1 Germans did. In fact I find they come undone more with the useless buckles than doing them up British Army style.

Posted : 30/01/2017 4:18 pm
Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member

Thank you for your advice chaps I've ordered a pair from Schuster. I doubt I'll be able to get the boots right so I'll try my best with the rest of it.

Posted : 30/01/2017 5:58 pm
Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member

Schuster is proving to be an experience, first I placed the order, then I get an instruction to pay money into an account in Poland and not to mention Schuster but to mark payment for old German stuff. This sending money to a European account, my bank charges me £15 for the privelage, which is expensive for a 38 euro pair of puttees.
Now I get an email from them saying it will take 45 working days for them to be sewn, yes one and a half months!
:shock:

Posted : 01/02/2017 7:49 am
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

I never buy stuff from Schuster, a complete PITA.

I sure it is lovely gear and many people swear by it, but it is too much like hard work.

Just get a pair of these:

http://www.epicmilitaria.com/british-ar ... ttees.html

(the original ones are the short ones).

Posted : 01/02/2017 12:55 pm
Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

here we go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-GENUI ... Sw4DJYi8Xm

Posted : 01/02/2017 6:04 pm
TheChef
(@thechef)
Prominent Member

Schuster is proving to be an experience, first I placed the order, then I get an instruction to pay money into an account in Poland and not to mention Schuster but to mark payment for old German stuff. This sending money to a European account, my bank charges me £15 for the privelage, which is expensive for a 38 euro pair of puttees.
Now I get an email from them saying it will take 45 working days for them to be sewn, yes one and a half months!
:shock:

I've always had good service from Julia at Schuster, yes you have to email for payment, I paid by PayPal with no extra charges, stuff wasn't quick to come but not that long!, maybe it's a Brexit thing :shock:

German

Russian

British

Japanese

Posted : 01/02/2017 10:40 pm
Share: