Notifications
Clear all

Skip Chat

Page 1 / 2

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

Ok.
Were going to open a general chat section over here to stop the other threads going off topic.

Going to start it off with a question to you guys and dont be shy with the replies.

One of the objectives id forseen for this before we got this far was the taking/holding of a Bridgehead and the subsequent pitched battle. See La Fiere.
Now the immediate issue this brings up is the singular lack of Bridges in Ceri forest
:|
However, and its quite a big however, it does have sone absolutely very convincing"causeways" in the form of logging roads.
Now the question.
Just how convincing does the simulation of a small bridge (which is what La Fiere bridge is for anyone whos not visited it) a very small bridge at that, have to be?

Were obviously not going to ship in 600 concrete blocks and build it on the day :)
Does it matter to you guys and the storyline if the bridge is nothing more than some pickets marked out with strung out minetape?
Lets have some feedback guys.

Topic starter Posted : 06/04/2014 10:18 am

(@ronin)

Benji, last time we were there you slept under a tarp and I hid in a tent. It should be warmer this time round, is a tarp the better way to go? I won't be taking a kip mat cause the pine forest is like a mattress. What do you recommend?

Daz, I spoke to Eddie and he's getting the OK to attend the Saturday from his Mrs, though I think he wants to do longer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 10:46 am

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

Good news on Eddie mate.
I thought we were all taking GI blankets?
Come on, dont wimp out now :wink:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/04/2014 10:50 am

(@benji)

Benji, last time we were there you slept under a tarp and I hid in a tent. It should be warmer this time round, is a tarp the better way to go? I won't be taking a kip mat cause the pine forest is like a mattress. What do you recommend?

Tarp or tent bud, tent was better for keeping your pers admin in order but for a quick stand to and into the fray the tarp was ideal! Plus can / could be moved if needed! The only draw back was my oppo Cpl Pritchard was a little pished at my snoring and the fact I kept sliding down the slight gradient into his 'space'. :D
Pup tent or tarp is defo the way to go IMO!

airsoft...where dressing up is half the fun.

Armoury--TM Tompson TM 1911 ASG Sten mk V ASG M1 carbine (gas) AY 1918 BAR

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 10:56 am

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

Or maybe a group buy on those shelter halves you found Benj?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/04/2014 11:00 am

(@ronin)

So a blanket under a tarp for a few short sharp naps will work? I'm not gonna sleep all night cause I'll be to excited haha and I guess if it's gets hairy there's always the car. Keeps things light too I guess.

Daz got a lead on a army blanket suited to the era?

Young Pritchard does enjoy his own space lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 11:03 am

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

There is a distinct bridge at the bottom of the valley that effectively divides the site - and we have had pitched battles there before. I don't see it as a problem not having bridge superstructure, you need a lot of imagination in WW2 airsoft! Hell, the second game we ran was "Arnhem - A Bridge Too Far". No bridge at all on the site but we still managed a convincing ramp to the bridge to battle over and even had a British player saunter up it twirling an umbrella!

Here are some photos and stuff from previous WW2 excursions to Ceri:
http://www.comrades-in-arms.co.uk/wp/previous-events/battle-for-bryansk-forests/
viewtopic.php?f=168&t=13349
viewforum.php?f=168

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 11:03 am

(@benji)

There is a distinct bridge at the bottom of the valley that effectively divides the site - and we have had pitched battles there before. I don't see it as a problem not having bridge superstructure, you need a lot of imagination in WW2 airsoft! Hell, the second game we ran was "Arnhem - A Bridge Too Far". No bridge at all on the site but we still managed a convincing ramp to the bridge to battle over and even had a British player saunter up it twirling an umbrella!

Here are some photos and stuff from previous WW2 excursions to Ceri:
http://www.comrades-in-arms.co.uk/wp/previous-events/battle-for-bryansk-forests/
viewtopic.php?f=168&t=13349
viewforum.php?f=168

Yeah I remember that bit CW, I think, at the bottom, basically just off the crossroads and into the fields yes??
We'll cobble something together if not suitable and let individuals imagination do the rest!

Some cracking pics there mate, brings back some good softing memories of Ceri! Can't wait now!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 11:10 am

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

If im honest thats exactly what I wanted to hear Gents.
Jobs a good un :good:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/04/2014 11:26 am

(@pvtjohnny)
Reputable Member

The bridge at la fiere is little more than a wall either side of the causeway. Shouldn't be too difficult to simulate-- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 1:04 pm

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

Weve also got a, we believe, unique way of dealing with Airsoft Barbwire (Hazardtape).
The method weve used in the past is for the defending Teams to set out their pickets and string"wire" between them, which are then considered impassable from the ground up.
The only two ways to get past this is to use actual wire cutters or to use our "Bangalore".
Our Bangalores are steel pipes with a crow scarer push fitted into the furthest pipe and lit which is pushed under the wire.
Brings an element to the games more realistic than simply tearing the tape.
Youre absolutely spot on with the bridge comment mate. Its not much bigger than that now.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/04/2014 1:08 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Barbed wire is easy to make and better looking than plastic tape - the cheapest possible twin core cable (speaker cable or the like) with short pieces tied and knotted along the length. Paint it randomly with whatever grey/silver/brown/red oxide paint you have (or even leave it unpainted - looks OK from three feet). Durable, safe, easy to handle and store, and it can be cut in-game and simply re-tied for re-use. It looks very convincing, many of us use it around our reenacting pitches and the barbed wire often gets more reaction from the public than the display. Fun watching parents warn their children not to touch it! (Sadly your idea isn't unique - been done in many WW2 games with bangalores or wire cutters. Nonetheless, very cool, and players love it!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 2:00 pm

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

Good idea on the wire. Learn something every day.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/04/2014 2:39 pm

(@pvtjohnny)
Reputable Member

Lots of places sell the string barbed wire. Same idea as above. There was loads on sale around Halloween time. It's sprayed silver. Only problem was that the paint comes of when handled. Looks very cool and authentic :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 2:44 pm

(@pvtjohnny)
Reputable Member

Always thought that the battle of La Fiere would make a great game. Wasn't it named purple heart alley or something like that?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 2:49 pm

(@benji)

Always thought that the battle of La Fiere would make a great game. Wasn't it named purple heart alley or something like that?

Yup, highway n13, hell of a blood bath too!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 3:24 pm

(@pvtjohnny)
Reputable Member

One of the 82nd was awarded the medal of honor (posthumously) for holding off a load of jerries single handed with his BAR! It happened in one of the flooded lanes. And the charge along the causeway was ridiculous under mortar and mg fire with absolutely no cover!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 4:30 pm

(@benji)

Purple Heart lane btw not alley, something didn't quite sound right although alley works just as well from a yank point of view:-)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 4:35 pm

(@pvtjohnny)
Reputable Member

:rofl:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2014 5:12 pm

(@ronin)

So where is everyone travelling from?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2014 1:58 pm