Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Gunz & stuff

Page 1 / 2

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Just a quick reminder that we are aiming for an iconic early war look for this game.

It addition to the new acceptable gun rules that only period WW2 period weapons may be used (as per CiA, PBI and Gunman - goodbye AK47 etc) we have asked that players don't use MP44s since they scream late war and this would diminish the point of attempting an early war event.

It would be fantastic if players could resist the temptation to grab their favourite sub-machine gun and instead opt for bolt action (and for our purposes, things like M14s used on single shot only). It is NOT a rule that sub-machine guns are banned but ammunition will be in short supply and reliance on spray and pray or indiscriminate fire will not therefore be the tactic of choice.

Now then, given that there will, hopefully, be a preponderance (word-of-the-day) of bolt actions could players please give a thought to power. While the site is certainly suitable for popping at a distance at 500fps, tactically this might not be the best plan. Players are reminded that the site rule for 350-500fps @ 0.2g guns is 25m minimum engagement range. Imagine, say, you are sent on patrol and you walk into an ambush. Your pokey K98 will be useless. Worse - the likelihood, in the heat of the moment and in a flap and a panic, that someone will lose off a shot at close range. If you DO decide to use a powerful gun that's fine, its your choice, but please carry a working pistol. Make sure your commander is aware of the power of your rifle (under or over 350fps@0.2g - 1.14J) so that you can be given the right role and so used to advantage.

8mm weapons are fine for this event, please take note of the energy restrictions. Over 1.14J and you are into a 25m engagement rule.

There will be a chrono available on Saturday and Sunday.

Topic starter Posted : 10/06/2009 9:23 am

Tyreal
(@tyreal)
Estimable Member

8mm on a open day... no, 8mm in the hands of an experienced player during a WW2 event, fine by me. Over 1.14J and you are into a 25m engagement rule.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2009 9:04 am

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thread tidied for clarity.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/06/2009 9:50 am

Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

hopeing my g41 will be ready, its on semi auto only, but i will leave the standard spring in, its about 280 fps with a .20 bb

its very much like a k98 though not a 1940 gun. is this ok ???

for future events, what is a good power level for a semi auto only rifle?? , any ideas, i dont want something to hot to use, but i would like a nice range , as its only a 10 round capacity rifle ????

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2009 11:24 am

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Yes, fine. There isn't a 'whats allowed' list only a 'whats not allowed' - and that is modern kit such as MP5s & AK47s and well as MP44 (for this event only).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/06/2009 11:33 am

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

If you want a rifle useable at a range with no MED, I'd suggest around 370fps. You could use .25g's for accuracy and still have decent range. Once you get over 400fps, you really do need an MED. It's a fine balance, because a rifle needs the range to balance it out against the firepower of the smg, if they have the same range, then the rifle is at a serious disadvantage, given it's rate of fire and low magazine capacity.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2009 12:31 pm

(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

That was my thought as well. Although a bolt action should give you slightly better performance than an AEG at the same power having a little extra power could be a great advantage. To my mind I'd rather be hit by one shot at 370 than a burst at 350 but its dependent upon the site owner & game organiser if you're allowed to use it with no MED or not at that power level.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2009 12:54 pm

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

The problem is there's a cut off point. For FSA, that's been quoted as being 350fps. Above that you do have to take account of the 25m MED whatever you go for whether that be 370 or 490.

Now the organisers may implement a rolling scale of MEDs, but we've not been quoted one and I've never heard of one being officially quoted anywhere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2009 1:54 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Yes, spot on Rich.
You have two choices - not exceeding 350fps or not exceeding 500fps.
Site rule always take precedent, not matter how attractive the 'don't be a cock' rule is!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/06/2009 2:17 pm

Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

ill upgrade it to 350fps ,after op ariel,
ill leave it standard for now, thanks guys

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/06/2009 11:18 am

Broadsword
(@broadsword)
Estimable Member

Arse. My VSR-10 currently under conversion into a P14 chronos at 362. The worst of both worlds. Just too powerful to be used at any distance and not powerful enough to be a good long range weapon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2009 9:05 am

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

If you need to borrow a VSR spring for the event I have several... They can run from 310fps to 440 fps... your choice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2009 9:22 am

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Arse. My VSR-10 currently under conversion into a P14 chronos at 362. The worst of both worlds. Just too powerful to be used at any distance and not powerful enough to be a good long range weapon.

Most sites allow a +5 to 10% variance on chrono readings to allow for various things, which would mean you're ok if Fearful Silence do it. Worth checking before you shell out for, or go to the hassle of fitting a spring.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2009 9:53 am

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

As per rules I have already given - these are maximum limits with no variance.

The site limit is absolute maximum of 350fps with 0.2g 6mm bbs for all weapons listed here: AEGs, Pistols, shotguns, semi automatic rifles. Single shot bolt action rifles may be used up to 500fps but they MUST be used safely with a 25m engagement range. Any target within that range must not be fired at unless with a secondary weapon.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/06/2009 10:06 am

Broadsword
(@broadsword)
Estimable Member

I will try it with .36's and see if that brings the FPS down to under 350

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2009 11:28 am

dieselmonkey
(@dieselmonkey)
Noble Member

I will try it with .36's and see if that brings the FPS down to under 350

Afraid that makes no odds, it's measured with a .20 on the chrono, sorry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2009 11:30 am

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

er... that's naughty. :whip:

Fps must always be measured with .20g bbs. It's the kinetic energy that really matters and though the fps may go down with .36g bbs, the energy won't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2009 11:31 am

Broadsword
(@broadsword)
Estimable Member

I didn't think of that. My A-Level physics is coming back to me now ! Give me the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm stupid rather than trying to cheat :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2009 1:21 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Don't worry, its a very common mistake and even some seasoned airsofters still don't understand!

If you were chrono'ing at 362fps, what weight BB were you using?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/06/2009 1:27 pm

Broadsword
(@broadsword)
Estimable Member

.25's

I haven't fired it with .2's. May be worth trying to see if I get any extra range. I assume it's a 25m minumum engagement for rifles over 350 ?

Which leads me to my second problem, in that my pistol options are a spring 1911 or a gas Styer which doesn't scream GLOCK19!!!! but still isn't period. How tight are you on pistols ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2009 2:50 pm

Page 1 / 2

Share: