Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Camping under canvas

Page 1 / 3

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Camping is available on Saturday 4th July along with the usual CiA social for those who wish to stay over.

Please do not arrive on site before 6pm. There will be plenty of daylight in which to pitch camp so please don't turn up early. While offers of help are greatly appreciated it is better that we are just allowed to get on with the job rather than getting distracted & chatting with old (and new) chums!

Now then, a big ask. It would be amazingly cool if we can avoid a nylon encampment this time. We are not asking for pukka WW2 kit as post war stuff is fine but how awesome would it me to wake up to a sea of zelts and green or brown canvas in the morning! We are hoping it will get you in the zone and it will certainly add to the atmosphere.

Q. I don't have a WW2 tent, mine is a green post war thing.
A. Now worries, as long as it looks the part (green/brown/tan/camo canvas or zelt)

Q. I only have a nylon thing and don't want to shell out cash I don't have.
A. No worries, between us we should have enough tentage to share.

Q. How far is the camp site from the cars?
A. Just a few yards. No humping clobber from cars, most of it can stay there. Just eating/drinking/sleeping in camp.

Q. What is the camping area like?
A. Earth/leaf litter flattish woodland floor with tree canopy.

Q. Can I use hammock slung between trees?
A. If you are hard enough.

Q. Are there running water and toilet facilities?
A. No, we will have water available on site but it would be a great help if you can bring personal supplies - a cheap 5l bottle of water costs 93p from Asda.

Q. I like my nylon tent and don't like the smell of canvas!
A. No probs, we won't force you to do something you don't want, sleep is more important.

Q. Will the Germans have a separate camp from the Allies?
A. No, we will all be sleeping together (fnarrr) but, if we get our sh*t sorted, rows of pups and zelts would look awesome!

Topic starter Posted : 06/06/2009 10:20 pm

che
 che
(@che)
Noble Member

no worries chomers old chap me helga and bro have period tents ex scouts but look the part dyed dark green :wink:

theres nowt so Permanent as temporary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2009 5:24 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, to give up the comfort of my Land Rover tent, or to shell out for period gear? I'll have to make a decision based on cost I guess.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2009 5:53 pm

Helga Geerhart
(@helga-geerhart)
Famed Member

Actually we have one old scout tent died a lovely shade of forest green, and one ex army ridge. But we don't do nylon camping anymores now, well me and Che don't. I don't like all those poles and still have nightmares of the wind roaring through the one we used at Hurtgen. Non of that happens under canvas 8)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2009 6:28 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

or to shell out for period gear?

I'll have a zelt tent and two pup tent available for loan - so not necessarily an expense to be made!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/06/2009 6:53 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

or to shell out for period gear?

I'll have a zelt tent and two pup tent available for loan - so not necessarily an expense to be made!

If my Bro and I could loan a pup tent each, that would be fandabbydozey. :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2009 8:08 pm

che
 che
(@che)
Noble Member

Actually we have one old scout tent died a lovely shade of forest green, and one ex army ridge. But we don't do nylon camping anymores now, well me and Che don't. I don't like all those poles and still have nightmares of the wind roaring through the one we used at Hurtgen. Non of that happens under canvas 8)

baring my flatulance/snoring/belching of course :oops:

theres nowt so Permanent as temporary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2009 9:58 pm

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

I'll definitely be sleeping in my white Bell tent for this one as it is the most appropriate tent I have for this period. I have seen pictures of soldiers of the BEF before they crossed to France standing in front of them.

I can bring along a couple of pup tents if people want to borrow them, but I'd prefer not to have to bring the 160lber as the poles are ridiculously long.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2009 8:43 am

stof
(@stof)
Prominent Member

I'll definitely be sleeping in my white Bell tent for this one as it is the most appropriate tent I have for this period. I have seen pictures of soldiers of the BEF before they crossed to France standing in front of them.

I can bring along a couple of pup tents if people want to borrow them, but I'd prefer not to have to bring the 160lber as the poles are ridiculously long.

That answers my question as to whether my nice new white bell tent was going to be acceptable .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2009 9:36 am

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

stof they will have to be set up next to each other with appropriate period chairs and tables and other junk set up outside... :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2009 9:38 am

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Awesome!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/06/2009 9:58 am

stof
(@stof)
Prominent Member

stof they will have to be set up next to each other with appropriate period chairs and tables and other junk set up outside... :)

Sounds good to me , - starts hunting for period chairs for memsahib and junk to sit on :lol:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2009 10:07 am

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Right, so I still have a zelt tent available for someone to use AND also two CiA loaner tents, both Brit two man bivvy tents.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/06/2009 9:21 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

I'll reserve the CiA loaner tents for me and my Bro please!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2009 9:45 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Heh, you have already reserve MY two tents Pete. Zelt and two CiA ones still available for others!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/06/2009 9:58 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

D'oh! :slap:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2009 10:12 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Heh, you have already reserve MY two tents Pete. Zelt and two CiA ones still available for others!

May I reserve a tent please? One that my campbed will fit under (hopefully!).

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2009 10:18 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

I've not tried using a camp bed (presumably you have one of those low ones with tensioned wire legs?) in a bivvy tent - but I'd say you will be pretty close to the canvas. Perhaps someone else has tried and can give a definitive answer?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/06/2009 10:28 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

No it's some modern thing - I think I'll have to go with my roll mat instead. :roll:

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2009 10:33 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

OK. cool. You definitely can't get a camp bed in the zelt because of the central pole and angle of roof.

So, one 'two man' bivvy and one zelt tent still available.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/06/2009 8:10 am

Page 1 / 3

Share: