Notifications
Clear all

PDs Idea for a game becomes reality! Westwald/Ardennes Dec09

Page 5 / 5

Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member

Believe it or not the soviet army never issued sleeping bags to soldiers on the whole until the mid 90s (post soviet era), before then the accepted way for two guys to kip was to make a bed of branches and fasten great coats together...

Then again the didnt issue spectacles either as 'young men shouldnt need glasses' ...

But back on track i think if units are rotated everyone will get some sound rest if not true sleep.

As long as drivers get enough before having to go home i cant see it being an issue.

I've always found decemeber to be pretty mild these days compared to feb and march..

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2009 3:42 pm
(@scaleyback)
Famed Member

anyone know where i can get a paliass ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2009 4:12 pm
Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Heh, Sentimental Journey used to sell them. They were definitely on there a few months ago but I can't find them now. Blummin rubbish web site though!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2009 5:06 pm
HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

Sentimental Journey will be at Beltring.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2009 7:02 pm
Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

the branches in the whole works

i did an OP position in norway once in -20 deg C

in our scrape we place pine branchs about a foot thick, and as long as you get saplings none thicker than 1/2 an inch, (12.7mm to the young uns) its quite comfy, your poncho over the top is a must as this keeps the frost off. also though PD will HATE this , a candle in a well sealed bivi will raise temperature by 1 or 2 degrees (just leave one end open for ventalation)

putting the candle inside a tin can with pin holes in the bottom will help with light dicipline

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2009 1:22 pm
Wraith666
(@wraith666)
Honorable Member

Yep, The candle trick really does work, used that myself two years ago on a cold weather survival course in Norway up in the mountains near Bardufoss with the RM's, still boltic but helped raise the temp though my course was in the middle of December and not enought snow on the top of the mountain to make a quincy so a Basha or two over the top of snow walls did the trick

"Will you stop talking about the war!!"
"What, you started it!"
"We did NOT start it!"
"Yes you did, you invaded Poland..."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2009 2:25 pm
Page 5 / 5
Share: