birchwood casey all...

Notifications
Clear all

birchwood casey ally black ,a new trick

dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

was idling away the winter nights and thought i'd have a play with my mouser m712, it broke almost as soon as i got it and the good people at RSOV sent me the entire top half of the gun as a repair .so i ended up fixing the broken part so i now have two working upper receivers. they are painted finish as standard and the spare had been knocking around my spares box and the paint was pretty scratched so i thought i'd have a go at re-finishing it with ally black,once i had removed all the paint it was clear that the surface finish was pretty poor so i removed the casting lines with wet and dry ,after that it looked a lot better but i had to hand some "T Cut" car paint polish and thought i'd give it a go over,pity i didn't think to take photo's as it polished up way better than i expected ,real gangster bling look, now as i suspected the metal is a long way from pure aluminium and when i applied the ally black it almost immediately went sooty in the worst way and my heart sank ,thinking this was going to be a real hard job to work up a nice finish i began what i thought would be a good way to remove the sooty finish, this was to polish it off with the "t cut" but to my surprise the polish revealed a really nice colour underneath, almost a pewter silver grey.not to sure the photo's do it justice but it's pictured on the gun with the other painted one next to it.

the polish also has the effect of a very natural weathered look.

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

Topic starter Posted : 10/01/2013 5:03 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

That looks great! It's often the accidental discoveries that are the best.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/01/2013 5:07 pm

JD7
 JD7
(@jd7)
Illustrious Member

:good: Excellent 'find'

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2013 10:53 am

(@rammix)
Prominent Member

Very nice :good:

My WE P08 luger could do with a good make over :wink:

any particular brand of T cut? never used the stuff :P

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2013 8:11 pm

CHThree
(@chthree)
Noble Member

Hmm, that could give a garand that faded parkerised look.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2013 8:47 pm

dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

finally found time to do the lower receiver, the pictures still dont do it justice.just the hammer ,safety and sights to do, did i mention it's very time consuming as you have to remove all casting lines first.

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2013 9:14 pm

Share: