Notifications
Clear all

Tanaka Kar98 FPS problems

Jimmiiee
(@jimmiiee)
Reputable Member

Hey guys

So I brought a Kar98 off the forum awhile back

Problem with it is the FPS is like 220 - 300 and the range is shocking. I've swapped the Hop rubber and the barrel is clean. I've had a noisy at the bolt and tighten a screw that was in there.

Now going from pictures on the net there's a spring in the bolt which I didn't have. Would that effect the FPS?? Can anyone help me please?

Thanks
JD

Topic starter Posted : 12/02/2015 10:58 pm

dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

on the underside of the bolt there's a round rubber seal that couples to the magazine where the gas is released , it could be missing or inserted upside down .

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2015 12:02 am

Jimmiiee
(@jimmiiee)
Reputable Member

I took a few photos of the rubber seal on the bolt, did have a gun tech say it looked abit worn so I guessing it's something to do with that or it's the mags-- attachment is not available ---- attachment is not available ---- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/02/2015 7:44 pm

dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

Are you going to Aachen ?'if so I could have a look , I'd be puprised if more than one mag had the same fault , must be something in the bolt not working right .

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2015 8:00 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

That looks like a BGS nozzle to me. Have you checked the hop rubber? If that is ok, then your problem is most likely with the hammer, or something missing from your bolt.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2015 8:07 pm

Jimmiiee
(@jimmiiee)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the replies

Yes I should be at Aachen, should be down on the Friday

Yeh the Hop is a BGS one, the Hop rubber I used as a replacement is a BGS one

Thanks
JD

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/02/2015 8:33 pm

dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

I won't be down on Friday but I'm going to try and be there early as I have a load of gun's to hand over and it always kills time but if I get a chance I'll have a look before the game , I'll be bringing my PPS Kar98 and other than the bgs hop it is compatible so we can try and swap bolts and magazines and see where the problem lies ,there's really not much that can go wrong ,as Sgt Heide said could well be the bolt at fault .

armoury

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2015 8:45 pm

Jimmiiee
(@jimmiiee)
Reputable Member

I guessing the PPS mags work in the Tanaka, as the Tanaka mags work in the PPS

If not then what about the Tanaka Type 99, they look pretty similar

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/tanaka-10rd- ... PTMCiusXzE

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/03/2015 8:51 pm

dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

Pps mags are a direct fit in the Tanaka ,exactly the same .

armoury

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/03/2015 7:53 am

Jimmiiee
(@jimmiiee)
Reputable Member

Pps mags are a direct fit in the Tanaka ,exactly the same .

Thought as much, best to be sure tho :good:

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/03/2015 6:41 pm

Jimmiiee
(@jimmiiee)
Reputable Member

Ok I've just brought a PPS mag gone to check the FPS, pulled the bolt back and the bb rolled out the barrel

Every try it's just rolls out, tryed it with the Tanaka mag and the same thing happened

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/03/2015 9:19 pm

dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

If the hop is completely off there's nothing to stop the BB's rolling out the barrel ,it's only the hop nub that stop's it ,can't be anything else other than too long a nozzle pushing the BB past the hop but that's very unlikely , you have the bgs hop don't you , is the nozzle loose or wobbly ? Could it be not properly pressed into the bolt ?

armoury

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2015 11:17 pm

Jimmiiee
(@jimmiiee)
Reputable Member

Well I solved the bb rolling out the barrel, just adjusted the hop abit :slap:

Saddly the PPS mag doesn't fully lock in however it still fires. FPS was better but not what it should be

I'm in doubt that my chrono is 100% however when the problem came to my attention it was a my local site whom I trust there chrono

Nozzle isn't wobbly. Not sure on the Bolt being pressed, will try something

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/03/2015 12:00 am

Share: