Notifications
Clear all

Q&A Thread

Page 1 / 7

HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

Hi folks

Any legitimate and reasonable questions about this event can be posted here.

Most of the information can be found on the threads in this sub-forum, so please read these first.

We'll post details about arrival times and overnighting at a later date. Booking opens on 1st October, so we can give more info about that then.

Try to keep this thread for Qs only and resist the urge to digress like we usually do!! (Fat chance!) ;)

Looking forward to getting into the swing of things again in 2010!!

Topic starter Posted : 18/09/2009 2:09 pm

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Lots of Wehrmacht units in that list. Will the Germans be trying to concentrate on one impression or are you after a rag-tag mixed bunch of fascist beasts?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2009 5:05 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Good question.

Rag-tag is fine. No need for one impression for the Germans - a mix of Heer and SS is fine. It is dark and cuff titles will be neither heer nor there!
The temperature down there is a constant 10°C so feldgrau wool would be perfect and practical and look as awesome as it did at Ariel.

Dust off those MP44's!!

[edited for spelling] :wink:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2009 5:20 pm

stof
(@stof)
Prominent Member

Wicked ! a chance to wear my Gebirgsjager uniform at last ! and dust off the MP40

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2009 5:58 pm

HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

We're going easy on the rules for Russian uniforms. Commissar's great coat would be fine....unless you really would like to buy the EM's coat, of course....

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/09/2009 11:30 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hehe, the Maxim will be both a blessing and a curse! I rather suspect you will be behind your own advancing troops to begin with 'encouraging' them to enter the unknown.
If you know some foul words in Russian, so much the better!

As you say, summer uniform wouldn't be the first choice - this was a real event on 30th January 1945 (event date of 24th Jan was the closest we could get to synchronicity) and therefore in the depths of winter. The tunnels are 10°C so not freezing cold but decidedly chilly and the air is somewhat damp too. Imaging taking the dog for an early morning walk in November and you get the sort of idea of clothing to wear. If you don't have a dog then imagine popping out to the paper shop instead. :lol:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 7:14 am

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

I don't have a dog or a paper shop. Can I still play?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 7:45 am

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

* Checks rules *

Dogs or paper shops are not a prerequisite to play but imagination is :lol: :giggle:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 7:57 am

JD7
 JD7
(@jd7)
Illustrious Member

Martin, you could make a dog out of paper origami style, kinda halfway house :lol:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 8:51 am

panzerfaust joust
(@panzerfaust-joust)
Reputable Member

You could always borrow my dog and walk it.... (service charge applies)

.-..-. .- --. .- .. -. / .-- .. - .... / - .... . / -. . --. .- - .. ...- . / .-- .- ...- . ... --..-- / -- --- .-. .. .- .-. - -.-- .-.-.- .-..-.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 9:28 am

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

:rofl: :rofl:

Hijack succesful.
Now fly this thread to Cuba...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 10:18 am

(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

So just how often am I going to be killed wheeling around a maxim then

At least you can use it, looking like my mosin is going to have to stay at home. Now I know what Pete meant when he said he wouldn't get a chance to use it. :(

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 3:30 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Now I know what Pete meant when he said he wouldn't get a chance to use it. :(

Don't worry Rich. When people buy into the Red Army look, it's only a matter of time before another Russian front battle. Outdoors, so you can "go Zaitsev". :good:

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 3:44 pm

(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

Indeed, we'd just better make this one a success then! I guess she can be prepared using open dayers and US GIs as target practice. :twisted: It does mean I'd need to find another weapon though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 3:53 pm

Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member

What's the flooring like? Strange question I know but I've had bad experiences with hobnails and damp concrete! Hope to get a booking cheque off to you next week :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 3:54 pm

JD7
 JD7
(@jd7)
Illustrious Member

deep red shag pile :rofl:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 3:55 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

deep red shag pile :rofl:

Funnily enough, there are a very few areas which are carpeted! Generally, it's concrete floors, some damp, some dry but the damp patches are all avoidable (sounds like my sex life! :whiplash: ).

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 3:57 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

I will be wearing hobnails - I didn't have any problem earlier this year at UCAP. I don't run round like a loony and hobnails down tunnels sounds awesome!

However, I suppose it is only sensible to point out that smooth floors and concrete aren't ideal and rubber soled boots would be the safest option.
(They seemed to manage well enough in WW2 though - I suspect its like ladies and high heels, put them on for the first time and you will trip and sprain an ankle whereas old pro's can totter about without any difficulty*!)

* So I'm told :whistle:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 4:02 pm

panzerfaust joust
(@panzerfaust-joust)
Reputable Member

is there any mains electricity on site?

.-..-. .- --. .- .. -. / .-- .. - .... / - .... . / -. . --. .- - .. ...- . / .-- .- ...- . ... --..-- / -- --- .-. .. .- .-. - -.-- .-.-.- .-..-.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 4:15 pm

(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

Yes all you germans will be fine in hobnails. That way we can hear you coming AND with any luck general winter will get you(r feet). :twisted:

Who is in overall command of the Soviet forces? Steve or Pete? I'd just like to know if we are going to be led to victory by the glorious red army or jsut shot in the back by the NKVD dogs?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2009 4:22 pm

Page 1 / 7

Share: