Notifications
Clear all

Paras - Uniform, Kit and other Particulars

Page 11 / 15

Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

Remember also, the kit was not yours. It belonged to the crown. Losses very often had to be paid for.
On British Army wages you dont want to be shelling out for a new tunic and insignia every time you get a bit sweaty. :shock:

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2013 5:26 pm

Kendo
(@kendo)
Estimable Member

Taking heat as an example, would they be allowed to remove their denison, or clothing underneath it, would they just push through, are the basic uniforms actually a lot more capable of putting up with adverse conditions than I am thinking?

Speaking as someone who played in the heat of our very unusual Scottish summer with a Denison, wool trousers and full webbing, I can confirm it's not really as bad as you'd think. In saying that, I was wearing a Highlander sweat-wicking shirt underneath, although I'm unsure how much of a difference this made as I've yet to play without it! :P

Either way, as has been mentioned previously, the great thing about the Denison is that you can wear pretty much anything you like underneath while still totally looking the part, and the addition of a scrim scarf around your neck (which is pretty much a mandatory piece of equipment anyway for these impressions!) will help hide any conspicuously modern-looking shirt collars.

Go reasonably nuts. :wink:

'ABSIT OMEN'

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2013 12:58 am

Nurglitch
(@nurglitch)
Reputable Member

1: Because of the rules on my local field I will need some sort of pistol as a backup, but from what I can understand these were mainly issued to officers...is there any historical way for me to have a pistol (proberbly a M1911 I would think) as a regular rifleman?

A trophy weapon. Obviously they were not very common but they did happen and it's the least implausible option. There are some Lugers and Broomhandles in some of the pics.
I'm using a WE Luger myself but would recommend against it. A gorgeous but very unreliable weapon.

Kitwhore files: S&S Lee Enfield No. 4, AGM Sten Mk. II, Tanaka Kar 98k, WE Luger P08
Wishlist: AGM Stg44, possible LE No. 4 gas project

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2013 7:44 am

MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

1: Because of the rules on my local field I will need some sort of pistol as a backup, but from what I can understand these were mainly issued to officers...is there any historical way for me to have a pistol (proberbly a M1911 I would think) as a regular rifleman?

As a normal rifleman? no. As a weapons crew (Vickers etc, possibly Bren) then yes. However this is Airsoft not re-enactment so I just have a Webley holster with either an M1911 or a revolver shoved in it, depending. Some people have Brownings.

2: For a para in Normandy, would it be fine to wear the bandoliers for enfield ammo?

3: Again for Normandy should I go with the solid canteen cover or would a skeleton cover do?

There are photos of 6th Airborne chaps with bandoleers in Normandy. Canteen straps vary, some skeleton, some envelope.

4: I can't quite figure out what sort of respirator pouch I would need for a Normandy kit as there seems to be quite a few.

I just went for the lightweight respirator, the one you can clip to your belt. The bag is surprisingly capacious.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2013 8:49 am

Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

5: I can understand that a minimum of insignia was used on the denison, wings and rank only, but what about on the battledress jacket? from what I can gather it should have the "parachute" and pegasus patch along with rank insignia, or have I missed something?
5A: I've come across some para helmet decals, red, blue or green, would all paras have worn these on the helmets?

5: Look at this site;
http://www.justordinarymen.org.uk/page_ ... 57531.html
Scroll down and you will see what you need on your BD. Without the 'Yorkshire' slip on usually.
5A: No, dont. Not what you want at all.

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2013 9:08 am

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

Well I've received my Pegasus Mk2 Helmet. It's a cracker, really solidly built. Just need a helmet net and some scrim.

Looking forward to trying all the kit on together.

I'll post a picture as soon as I have for critique. Hopefully it will look ok.

Unfortunately I'm having a rough time trying to renovate these 1946 dated ammo boots. They're rock solid and despite technically being an adequate size, they are very reluctant to bend or stretch in any way, shape or form. I may have another go in a few months, maybe go and get some advice of a cobbler as even once the leather is sorted, there will still be the soles to deal with, which are just as buggered. Worth the effort I think since they were owned by a D-Day/Arnhem Vet (although not worn on those occasions)

Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who will fight!
General James M. Gavin

CRY HAVOC AND LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/11/2013 7:04 pm

Kendo
(@kendo)
Estimable Member

Okay, I asked earlier in the thread but the comment got swept away and unanswered. I'll try again.

Soldier of Fortune Para helmet, strictly for airsofting - yey or nay?

It was commented that they 'ain't all that for £80', but it wasn't elaborated upon. :(

'ABSIT OMEN'

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2014 6:22 pm

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

Pretty sure I did, it has been discussed earlier on in the thread when I asked but they are ok quality but not great. It's worth spending the little bit extra on a Pegasus one and having one that is top notch. You know what SOF is like, the chin cup could fall apart next week.

Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who will fight!
General James M. Gavin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/01/2014 10:02 pm

Kendo
(@kendo)
Estimable Member

So build quality is the problem with them. I thought it might've been the fit or accuracy - but that's a shame, given the price.

Pegasus lid it is! Cheers, Spiers. :wink:

'ABSIT OMEN'

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2014 10:28 pm

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

The other benefit is, you measure your head and he makes the helmet liner to fit your head size or as near as accurate. Then you don't have to faff around making sure you buy the right size etc.

Alex

General James M. Gavin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/01/2014 6:58 pm

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

-- attachment is not available ---- attachment is not available --

General James M. Gavin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/03/2014 2:07 pm

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

General James M. Gavin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/03/2014 2:26 pm

Ramsay00105
(@ramsay00105)
Honorable Member

Ah good work there.

The gas mask bag may have been worn under the webbing to stop it flapping about, or fastened on the webbing, or lost...

A wedding ring is probably unlikely but not impossible.

In black and white it looks damn good. Do you have any colour versions?

15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2014 11:31 pm

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

Yep. I put the Resi bag on in a rush and forgot to put it under to stop it flapping. I'll find the colour version and post it.

Also the boots are incorrect - they are high legs so don't allow me to put the gaiters on. They will do until I get the ammo boots.

General James M. Gavin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 12:12 pm

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

General James M. Gavin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 12:20 pm

Iceman
(@iceman)
Estimable Member

The pictures are awesome as always from you, but what's with that grip? :D

Why do you always carry that umbrella?
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 1:15 pm

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

Grip?

General James M. Gavin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 1:38 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

A very brave Tommy - there is a whole bunch of Jerry over that wall!

But my attention turned to the German standing in a hole. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 1:39 pm

MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

Yes, I spotted the German in the hole too :)

Grip?

How you are holding the Sten.

Strangely, the only time I've ever fired a real one the range instructor told me to hold it at the base of the magazine, but the official grip was by the barrel sleeve (being careful not to stick your little finger in the ejector slot) with the magazine resting on your forearm.

On the range I think the idea was to counteract the muzzle pulling up, it did pull quite fiercely, but after a few bursts was quite controllable.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 1:57 pm

spiers
(@spiers)
Noble Member

I see what you mean, I'm holding the sten by the magazine and magazine aperture. Seen a good few photos of them holding a Sten like that. Plus holding at the barrel sleeve risks, as you said, bits of fingers, wrist on the bolt burns on hands from hot barrel sleeve. It could also occlude your forward sight, if your hand was wrapped all the way round.

It seemed the more sensible place to put my hand and it felt right.

@CW - 1 Para - 6 Germans - No contest! :wink:

General James M. Gavin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 2:56 pm

Page 11 / 15

Share: