Notifications
Clear all

Any feed back on this guys. Looked a great game.

Page 2 / 2

(@benji)

All it takes initially is two organisers to start the ball rolling and get a game on the planning table.

Thing is, this isn't a new idea at all, and has happened a number of times over the years.

The first in 2007 when CiA and Gunman collaborated on the first D-Day game.

Yes but surely there's nothing to lose by trying, even if it is second wind, so to speak!

airsoft...where dressing up is half the fun.

Armoury--TM Tompson TM 1911 ASG Sten mk V ASG M1 carbine (gas) AY 1918 BAR

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 9:46 am

MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

I think Albany foundered for a number of reasons, but one thing you need to be really clear about is what is expected of players in the 24/36 hour period.

I've had a few people say they couldn't possibly consider a 36 hour game as a normal day leaves them knackered, let alone no sleep for 36 hours and then a possibly lethal drive home. I think they imagine they will be running around at full pelt for 36 hours, something which even hardnut endurance athletes find a bit tough.

CiA and others have run non-stop games with in-game camping etc without any problems, so it is quite feasible to set up. Having done the props and designed the scenario, it seems a shame to let it go.

Bank Holiday weekends probably aren't great to schedule games on either, similar problem to summer games as loads of people have other things on.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 12:59 pm

Allenby
(@allenby)
Noble Member

Very good point Martin.

I've never done a 36 hour game before, I don't know the site, nor do I know the organisers. I've also never camped in game before. Probably a lot of people who thought about booking on didn't know or hadn't done these things either and were put off.

Personally, I'm not crazy about camping in game, particularly with an overwhelming majority of people I don't know. Not that I'm worried about gang raped in my sleep, but the nagging concern of getting a full auto burst in the face without eye protection during an attack on camp, or similar, existed.

What about down time? Was it at a set period of time or did people drift off as and when unconsciousness loomed?

I don't mean this in a negative way, as I've read that the organisers are experienced people and seemed extremely cool. The scenario was shit hot and that's why I booked on. But I do understand why people didn't fancy it.

Hopefully it will run at some point as it's a very cool idea at an awesome site, run by people who genuinely care about the hobby. :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 1:20 pm

HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

On the other hand, some people might quite like the idea of camping it up with an unexpected full burst in the face during the early hours...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 1:56 pm

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

Allenby, Martin. Thank you for your points and praise.
We will try this again. Rest assured.

In case anybodys still wondering about the rest periods. The idea was to allow players free rein as to when rest was taken.
It would then be worked into the scenario so when players stood down, they would be considered as battle casualties and sent to the rear to be fixed up.
When they were ready to rejoin they would be considered battle casualty replacements and sent to the front again.

Anybody wishing to kip during play.e.g in their foxhole or bunker would do so wearing goggles and would do so at their own risk, despite their being an absolute and blanket ruling against blind firing this would obviously be a risky way of doing it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 2:22 pm

Allenby
(@allenby)
Noble Member

On the other hand, some people might quite like the idea of camping it up with an unexpected full burst in the face during the early hours...

Only when it's lonely... on ze Eastern Front.

Davies, if this was your first effort at planning a big WW2 game, it was an extremely good one. You come across as a genuine bloke. Don't be put off and I look forward to attending a game with you soon. :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 3:03 pm

(@prideofengland)
Noble Member

Nah not a morning person :ghey:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 3:27 pm

Allenby
(@allenby)
Noble Member

Nah not a morning person :ghey:

You definitely weren't at Foy, mate! :D

That was alcohol poisoning, mind! :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 3:37 pm

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

Yes this was our first crack at a WW2 game of this size but not our first WW2 game.
Possibly we aimed a bit high for our debut but as has been said, the scenario is sound and the location excellent.
Youre comments are appreciated though.
Were going to be attending one or two games around the country over the next few months, to get our faces out there and hopefully get to meet some of you guys.
Well put Albany on again soon enough.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 8:29 pm

(@pvtjohnny)
Reputable Member

How about developing a contact list of these like minded players who want an experience rather than a skirmish then (using the Albany scenario) the given scenario is developed and a date set which will accommodate the majority. One of these "game experiences" (prevents clashes) could be ran every year perhaps even set on a regular date (so people can plan, save etc) by knowing your target group specifically you can be sure you are selling a product in demand. That is however, dependent on having 30-40 people interested. Even if you have 15 odd players committed to this and they sell the idea to 2 or 3 mates, then you're looking at 30-40 players. Then once a few successful games have been run, word will get out and it will gather momentum (ideally, I know). Just an idea bit remember "if it's important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse " :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 9:37 pm

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

I like it. :good:
Start a database of numbers, names, e mails and locations of like minded players.
As you say Johnny it need only contain 10 or 15 individuals initially, each with 2 or 3 like minded mates or even single players.
If this was shared between the individuals on that list then a nucleus of players would develop, again ideally.
One thing is certain. Its not going to get any better by sitting on our thumbs waiting for it to improve by itself.
Johnny. I have your contact details.
If anyone else wants to get in on this feel free to pm me with your own details and ill reply on receipt with mine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 10:00 pm

Luiluei
(@luiluei)
Noble Member

Put me on your list.
I am fairly new to the game but I completely agree with Johnny. There are not only like minded single individual but also opinion makers and group "leaders" that can pull quite a few players along. If you can activate them, you should already get the needed numbers to start the game. At Foy whole squads signed up at once. The August game is almost full and the inital numbers came via 2-3 groups.
Get groups/ organisations like the fireball's 34th, AGS, Gunman, alte Hasen etc. To support the game. If they organise games, you could support them next time. Probably easier said then done but worth a try.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 10:36 pm

(@pvtjohnny)
Reputable Member

I'll see if we can open up a "register" of like minded individuals who may be interested

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 10:44 pm

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

Thanks mate.
Pm'd you my details.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 10:45 pm

(@pvtjohnny)
Reputable Member

Guys, see the general discussion section of the forum and register your interest on that thread. Thx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 11:04 pm

HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

I like it. :good:
Start a database of numbers, names, e mails and locations of like minded players.
As you say Johnny it need only contain 10 or 15 individuals initially, each with 2 or 3 like minded mates or even single players.
If this was shared between the individuals on that list then a nucleus of players would develop, again ideally.
One thing is certain. Its not going to get any better by sitting on our thumbs waiting for it to improve by itself.
Johnny. I have your contact details.
If anyone else wants to get in on this feel free to pm me with your own details and ill reply on receipt with mine.

Put me on your list.
I am fairly new to the game but I completely agree with Johnny. There are not only like minded single individual but also opinion makers and group "leaders" that can pull quite a few players along. If you can activate them, you should already get the needed numbers to start the game. At Foy whole squads signed up at once. The August game is almost full and the inital numbers came via 2-3 groups.
Get groups/ organisations like the fireball's 34th, AGS, Gunman, alte Hasen etc. To support the game. If they organise games, you could support them next time. Probably easier said then done but worth a try.

If only there were some sort of online central repository where we could bring people together to discuss and advertise these events...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2014 2:17 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

:giggle:

It might help a bit if Pathfinder and 34th Inf got all their WW2 players to sign up to the forum, have a look through the website and get involved with the wider WW2 community, not just attend their own club games. There must loads of them...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2014 2:30 pm

(@davies3059)
Trusted Member

How unusual. A sarcastic response from a moderator.
Im sure if you spent as much time promoting games as you do thinking up cutting responses there'd be no problem at all filling games.
Chomley. First and foremost. Thankyou for the assistance youve given us at Pathfinders during the run up to this weekend. It genuinely is appriciated.
As regards Pathfinders signing up to the forum and getting out there and supporting other games.
We all have signed up to this forum and are attending a WW2 themed game in Scotland in the Summer and Gunmans game in November.
I fully expect to get banned after standing up and speaking my mind to a mod, there you go, was good while it lasted.
Thanks again.
Daz.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2014 7:21 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

1. No one has ever been banned for speaking their mind on this forum. Ever. This isn't and never has been 'that' kind of forum.
2. It wasn't a sarcastic remark, you made a mistake. If the sum total of your players are signed up to the forum and can see everything that is going on in the WW2 world that is fab. It does explain one of the reasons why Albany didn't have legs, launching into the calendar without a known presence or a solid body of pre-booked players was going to be difficult. (34th can pretty much run a game with club players and are chokka with additional players) Much easier next time around once you all have got yourselves about a bit. I'm sure you will have a great time with Ernie later this year...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2014 7:34 pm

Page 2 / 2

Share: