Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Send my regards to your mother!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 12:18 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member

the highlight was wlad and i doing our re-run of the charge of the light brigade with similar end results, we had the speed, we had aggresion , then the total surprise came when i pulled the trigger on the mp 40 to find it was on single shot then the "OH feck!!!" as beds ran for his life while his mate frantically fumbled for his sidearm, only managing to kill us at almost point blank range . then for wlad to own up to the fact that his mp40 wasnt working and he chaged with just a revolver !!!

If only I had used the revolver then a least a couple more bullets would have wizzed towards those Germans .

Though my MP40 did hive me another amusing moment as I dash out of the 'hut' with it slung on my back to medic Peppered, only to have the thing catch on the cameo netting and pull me back in a second comic pause at my 'zenith' (and all in front of the corporal too...)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 12:38 pm
dieselmonkey
(@dieselmonkey)
Noble Member

Well, not really sure where to start here! Many, many thanks to all the British and German players for really getting into the spirit of the game, with heroic deaths and some brilliant roleplaying elements from all sides, along with top-notch kit (as usual!) and fair and fun gameplay all day.

Special thanks to the partisan players, including the GF staff for taking up the roles with relish, including all the backstabbing side missions that most of the Allied and Axis players wouldn't have a clue about, until badly accented arguments and inter-partisan gunfire broke out for no apparent reason!

Also many thanks to my fellow organisers, Del, Pete, Yith and Gadge for all their hard work, and to Nige for the frankly amazing sentry boxes.

What we tried with Op Lightning was something that hadn't really been done with ww2 airsoft before (as far as i'm aware!), which was adding a role-playing based element into the game, which, to be honest, we weren't entirely sure would be taken up by players, or work. I'm really glad to see that it did get taken up enthusiastically, and we'll certainly be using it again in some future games (not all though, it has it's place, but not in every game), as it definitely added an extra element into the game.

Personal highlights for me:

Whilst being the Partisan leader, the Commandos bought in a german prisoner into my village for questioning, but before they got to speak to him i used my freebie ppk springer to execute him, much to the shock of the British.

While being a Chetnik fighter, and getting wounded by the British, asking a fellow partisan to heal me, only for him to reveal himself as a filthy communist and steal my gun! I had to wait for the germans to arrive to get healed, and then hunt him down with my trusty luger, which jammed, leading me to get useless PPK springer kill number 2, and my gun back!

I'd just like say what a fantastic day i had, I had a smile on my face all day, even though running round trying to organise alcoholic hobo partisans was like trying to herd fog!

Gadge will be along with a full game report in the near future, but again, many thanks to you all, and especially GF, for their hospitality and their generous donation of the game fees to HfH. :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 1:21 pm
JD7
 JD7
(@jd7)
Illustrious Member

I had a fantastic day - everyone played with esprit de corps. A great bunch of players - pat yourselves on the back.

Suffering a little today - forgot to take water out with me for the games

I missed out on taking part on the last game - Che kindly loaned me a rifle as I had been using the MP-40 and P08 all day. The Germans and Partisans get out to their start points, and I go to load a round only to discover the bolt was missing

Several of us spent some time looking for it, I checked the gun slip several times only to discover near the end of the game - the bolt was stuck in a small pocket on the side, the only pocket I hadn't checked !!

Once Che got back I told him and he said he had actually handed me the WRONG rifle in the first place

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 2:05 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member

Oh I have just remembered another high point (there are so many) which was our encounter with Liptons SOE operative. We take him to see the Major when we were defending the village and then I go back to my guarding the entrance. A couple of minutes later I turn around and see this partisan reach into a pile of tires. I yell and point may gun and Lt Heath shouts 'stop that man' and grabs him throwing him to the floor whilst we point guns at him. The final icing on the cake is Gadge coming out in his majors voice telling us 'it's alright chaps, he's one of us, dreadfully sorry old man'.

oh, and the opportunity to da an, albeit pathetic due to my lack of acrobatic skills, 'Jesus f*&£ing Chri...' grenade explosion death roll over David who I was medicating.

I am quite sure there are many many many more favourite moments. :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 2:30 pm
(@scaleyback)
Famed Member

just remembered a couple more thank yous, porta for the safety goggles , webby for the ammo when i was daft enought to leave mine in the van after lunch , barry and anne for the use of the bren and headshot for the 3 bottles of kronenbourg that he left behind when he went ,

and evo for killing me humanely when the bren jamed and then so did my 1911. as i slid backwards down a hill trying to stay upright with my hands in the air, the temptation to hose me down from close range must have be massive.

what a day........ still giggling now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 3:49 pm
(@scaleyback)
Famed Member

* IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM PBI.*

PBI SENTRY BOXES AND TELEPHONES FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY!!!!!

ANY GERMAN SENTRIES FOUND TO BE CALLING PREMIUM RATE SEX LINES ON PBI EQUIPMENT WILL BE SHOT!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED BEDS..................

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 7:16 pm
neillblume
(@neillblume)
Prominent Member

Send my regards to your mother!

regards sent next time i'll get there first

Vorsprung durch Blitzkreig !
Speed, aggression and Hugo Boss
the innocent have nothing to fear......[img][/img]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 7:27 pm
Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Another thing I noticed was how well the AGM MP44 performed in Neils' hands. Just like the real thing, firepower with accuracy. I'm now even more gutted about not being able to "play German", as I can't really find an excuse to buy one now. Mind you, having said that, my PPSH41 performed flawlessly. My feed fix has sorted the issue I had with it at Bryansk and I got quite a few kills with it. I have to 'fess up that it was me who shot Anne in the back with it as she was carting the MG42 in the last game, very satisfying!

As already mentioned, the amount of bolt actions in use, both gas and springers, was great to see and the site really suited their use, plus the weather was more than adequate for the Tanakas to show what they're made of.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 7:44 pm
neillblume
(@neillblume)
Prominent Member

I agree. it was the perfect example of why the stg44 was so effective in ww2....

Vorsprung durch Blitzkreig !
Speed, aggression and Hugo Boss
the innocent have nothing to fear......[img][/img]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 8:16 pm
Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

I agree. it was the perfect example of why the stg44 was so effective in ww2....

You seemed to enjoy your brief blast with the PPSH as well mate! Your grin was huge after hosing those Brits with it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 8:20 pm
(@scaleyback)
Famed Member

another great moment just came back to me, i started laughing at the top of my lungs while walking the dogs earlier. ( its ok, the locals think i am part of care in the community anyway.) i think it was the second game, we moved into one of the burms, to be met by a couple of slavs , one was lipton, who greated us" welcome, i am mayor of village, this is my village, we help you fight germans. any thing , welcome." to witch some one over my right shoulder said out of the corner of his mouth, just load enough to hear "he is the mayor of 12 pallets and 5 oil drums,,, his parents must be so proud" classic british tommy piss take.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 8:24 pm
Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

AMAZING DAY

10 out of ten to everyone

i cant sa anymore than has been said already

THANKS TO EVERYONE, site owners, orginizers and players

it all came together and made the event what it was

ill post pics soon

my dboys k98 "wore out" and is now useless

(post going in guns section soon)

thanks everyone, even the meercats

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 8:30 pm
Barrie and Anne
(@barrie-and-anne)
Noble Member

We had a fantastic time, thanks to all involved in putting it on. Best so far.

The garrison chaps looked excellent and deserve a big pat on the back for sticking to their posts throughout the day despite almost certain death(s).

Steiner, it was Gavin (Peppered), standing over me, spread-eagled and dead on the floor, saying something alarming about having to take advantage of my poor defenceless cadaver.....

The hollywood deaths were a treat too, but I'll have to practise not shouting "hit" for next time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 8:41 pm
(@scaleyback)
Famed Member

" meercats" the name for the partisan group on the forum ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nice one porta.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 8:42 pm
Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member

Guys what can i say.

Its the third battle PBI have been involved with (varisty we ran ourslelves, Hurtgen was in association with gunman and this last bash in concert wiht Hohenstaufen) and I must say its the best we've done to date.

It was in my opinion probably the best WWII event *I* have had an oar in (it would be unfair and overly biased to say it was the best ever).

Everybody pulled out all the stops to make it such a cracking day, As evo said we took a risk with the hihg levels of roleplay and threw KISS out the window with the medic rules and asking folk to stay dead in situ and leave heavy weapons in place - the end result total immersive esperience and far more realisitc than many true re-enactment battles I have seen or been in.

So the way forward I feel will be to generally retain 'combat missions' as I think *everybody* found the 45 minuted games with a chance to chat in between more rewarding than four hours of solid play at a time, if we use partisans well proably keep the same idea of characters with agendas to stop them just being 'squadies in civvies' but may add in the inclusion of adding to some cards the banner 'trusted axis/allies' in the secet bit to make players relaise they can rely on some chaps and not just treat them with utter suspicion (it was right for the balkans, les so for france). I felt the medic rules were the way forwards.. harldy anyone cried hit and hearing cries of 'arrgh stretcher bearer' rather than 'im dead mate' or 'hit' was great - equally seeing all the 'bodies' strewn over after a firefight not only looked great but when you went round a corner and saw dead bodies strewn all abouts you knew something was up!

I cant thank Pete, Del, Yith and Evo enough for all the hard work they put in making it such a success.

Special thanks really have to go out to Nige though for building the sentry boxs... TWICE.. once before the game then rebuilding them after I was adamant that saturdays gusts of winds woudl not be enough to move then... i was wrong and they ended up in pieces!

Thanks to Ramsay for the use of his vehicle and being kind enough to let us strip it down... i personally felt it looks quite convincing once it had the german markings on.

I was so impressed with the quality of game play on the day, everybody gave their all and *no one* had any complaints or whinges all day which was an airsoft first... this in fact struck the grange farm guys as incredible and they found it really refreshing .

And speaking of grange farm.. hats of to Adz and the lads, not only have they been 110% behind PBI in everything we have done but they did the incredible by running the day for *nothing* and donating a considerable amount of money to help for heroes.

I've probably forgotten to thank somebody as i alwasy do so if i did please dont be offended you were all stars..

Here's looking forwards to St Lo in June (better start writing the bugger this week)

Full battle report to come but once again, thanks guys, Sian and i cant wait to see the video.

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2009 11:16 pm
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

Well I've not said anything so far as I've just been too knackered! I had yesterday off work to recover and still this morning I ache like a bad 'un!

What a superb day! With the weather looking like it would scupper the massive effort everyone put in with the random reports earlier in the week, it was a joy to see all the hard work awarded with the absolute perfect conditions for an airsoft game.

On the way down to GF I was concerned that this game had been completely over hyped and at the last minute we'd have gusts of 70mph wind enough to make bolt action rifles useless and sentry boxes into kites.

Instead what we had surpassed all the hype, the game play was superb, the uniforms looked amazing, the role-play was exceptional and the sportsmanship wonderful to see.

My only regret of the day was that some members of PBI couldn't make it! You missed one of the best WWII events I've ever been to. I really can't find a bad point to the day!

Everyone has been thanked so much so far, I don't want to repeat all the names again! I know that all the people who matter the most with this went through times of doubt as to whether it would work or whether it was worth all the effort. Doubt that it would come off as so much seemed to be lined up against it being a success. But guys, it was worth every bead of sweat and stressful moment. WELL DONE TO ALL!

You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to being a "damn yank" for St. Lo. I do hope there will be plenty wanting to join us for that one! Meanwhile its just a few weeks to Die Glocke... :D My god this WWII airsoft hobby is superb.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2009 8:48 am
webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

I think also what made it that little bit more special, is that for most people this will have been the 1st WW2 game since Autumn mist, so people will have been extra keen to get back into the wools!

Roll on Glocke and beyond!

Should have some of the vid for viewing soon, lots of rolling around and partisan mischief has been shot... Carly and I were having a chuckle at the shot of Evo shooting the guy in the purple top, before falling about laughing as the other chap ran away at full speed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2009 9:05 am
HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

I do prefer long games to be honest. I found the short missions a bit like a regular open day game, but that's just me and it's nice to have a choice of game style to play. One thing I would say though, is that the time between games (perhaps using the word 'mission' would retain the immersion?) was a bit too long. If there was a action for everyone to move a central point in the site after each game for a quick de-brief and brief then that would make the day flow a bit more. Just a little thought there.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/03/2009 9:49 am
Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Good point H/S, it was discussed during, and at the end of the day as well as a point (the only one really) for improvement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2009 10:21 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: