Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Uniform & weapon requirements for Sevastopol

Page 1 / 4

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Army Group South makes a big effort to create an immersive WWII experience and we try to get players to look like they are part of a cohesive unit. Obviously we don’t expect you to fork out hundreds of pounds on extra kit just for our games. If you don’t have suitable stuff (most importantly the right headgear), then we will make every effort to find loaner kit for you provided you let us know good and early. We also have the customary Kit Lend thread.

German
Any Heer fedgrau uniforms are acceptable. Waffen SS feldgrau is OK as long as you can remove or cover up SS insignia. No Waffen SS or Sumpfmuster (tan & water) camo please. If you really must wear camo it needs to be Splittertarn - but please explore all other possibilities first.
Every German player needs a helmet for this event. If you don't have one then we will get you one. SS helmet insignia must be covered.

Soviet
Russian players have three uniform choices available:

90th Rifle Regiment - Any wartime or post war Gymnastiorka is acceptable (remove shoulder boards please). Shinels, Telegroikas, etc are all fine. M40 style helmets are required for this impression. Again, if you don't have one we'll get you one.

8th Naval Infantry Regiment - As above but with the blue and white striped naval shirt. The correct navy pea coats and bell bottoms are also good. Crossed bandoliers are optional. You must have a Soviet navy tally cap for this impression.

Dockyard Workers Militia -
1930s / 1940s style workman's clothes or boiler suits. Flat caps.
Note - as with military uniforms, this impression requires you to do some proper research. Authentic civilian impressions can be difficult and time consuming to put together. It's not supposed to be used as an excuse to turn up with a pair of cargo pants and a donkey jacket. If you don't have much in the way of kit then pick a role where we can supply you with something.

Weapons
K98
Mosin Nagant
MP40
PPSh41
SVT40
G41
Thompson - only if you are unable to obtain / borrow any of the above, please.

Acceptable lookalikes would be any WWII wooden-stocked rifle. Also, wood-coloured M14s can pass for SVT40 or G41, but must be used on single shot only. (See Barrie and Anne's M14/SVT and Gordon's M14/G43/41 conversions.)

Captured weapons can be used by either side. Please, no Stens or MP44s - neither of these would have been seen in the Crimea in late 41/early 42. MG42 is acceptable.

The limit of just 200 rounds per life will be in place, so you might be wise to choose the option of a bolt-action rifle. Deployed support weapons have a 1500 limit per life.

Topic starter Posted : 17/10/2011 10:11 am

Boshman
(@boshman)
Noble Member

The correct "Black Sea Fleet" naval caps are available from Soviet Power for a very reasonable $14.95.

[link]http://www.soviet-power.com/detail.php?pid=19[/link]

Also they do a nice naval package with the correct striped shirt, cap, belt buckle and a compass for $49.95

[link]http://www.soviet-power.com/detail.php?pid=45142[/link]

A lot of the Naval infantry at Sevastopol wore a lot of standard Red Army infantry uniform. So
team these with the standard infantry Gymnastiorka, Shinel, or Telegroika and you have the perfect Naval Infantry impression.

“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2011 10:51 am

Boshman
(@boshman)
Noble Member

This original photo is of a Red army Rifle Division in an assembly area at Sevastopol. Note the workers Militia and women integrated into the unit.

Also check out the huge Magazine attached to what appears to be a Mosin Nagant rifle of the chap at right front! :shock:

“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2011 11:40 am

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

I also note the HUGE variety of headgear...

Can we lose the helmet only requirement please? :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2011 11:45 am

(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

Those donald ducks aren't actually correct, they're the later soviet pattern introduced in the 1960s. The RKKF version had a much smaller brim and lower profile as the later ones also often have a wire reenforcement in the brim to make them stand up. The cap badge is also wrong.

However if you take out the wire, squash them down as was the style at time and replace the cap badge they shouldn't look too bad. Your best bet for a badge is a pilotka one since they're the cheapest and easiset to find. The correct one is unique to the cap, being between a pilotka and ushanka/furazkha in size and nearly impossible to find but all three could be worn in emergencies.

The belt buckle is also the postwar variety, you'd be better off looking for a postwar Bulgarian one as they're closer in style to the RKKF one and can still be found cheaply.

http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/February2010/navy_buckle1.jpg
What you're aiming for.

Correct peacoats are also very rare so it might be better going for a middy top or greatcoat (single row of buttons) as these didn't change much postwar.

I'd like to know what that rifle is. I don't think it is a Mosin, the stock looks the wrong shape.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2011 12:29 pm

Boshman
(@boshman)
Noble Member

Indeed, I suspected the hat and buckle were infact postwar but both look pretty darn close, at least to my untrained soviet kit eye anyway! Certainly close enough to pull off the impression and for the event requirements. And as you say the original and correct items are very hard to come by.

Being Pragmatic, we'd much rather have a full squad of naval infantry in not quite correct gear, than no Naval infantry at all!

Yeah the rifle is curious, it's only really the straight bolt handle that makes me think nagant but you are right, the stock looks wrong for a nagant! :?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2011 12:55 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

I can't find any rifle in my good book that looks identical. Possibilities would be a Norwegian Krag-Jorgensen or a Hungarian 7.92mm model 98/40 - but I have no pics of any rifle with a mag like that. :?

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2011 1:05 pm

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Does the gun go with the mahoosive rounds that sit on those bandoliers?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/10/2011 1:14 pm

(@wladek)
Famed Member

OK, people obviously interested.

but we are gonna need like 4 soviet helmets. Where do I post that.*

*EDIT* OK chaps, actually what I mean was:

"please change it back to Pilotkas - the thing that everyone has and everyone gets with a Soviet impression and creates a better silhouette of a Soviet soldier and more of a feel of the side." :kiss:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2011 1:42 pm

(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

In winter I'd prefer if it was ushankas personally as i hate having cold ears but correct ones can be harder to find. :lol: A mix of ushankas and helmets would be ok to my mind, something you see quite often in wartime winter photos.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2011 2:37 pm

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

The rationale behind having uniform headgear is that it helps give players the impression that they are part of a squad and thus helps to get them into the zone. You can have all manner of variations from the neck down but if you're all wearing the same lids then you look like a unit.

As game organisers we need to tread a path between allowing people a range of choices to suit various budgets whilst maintaining the look of a WW2 combat unit. Uniform headgear is the simplest way to do this. As explianed, we're happy to get loaners for anyone who doesn't have a helmet.

The Soviet Power tally caps are acceptable for our event, especially with the fettling that Lardy has suggested. If you want to source or commission a proper one then that would be great too :good:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/10/2011 3:08 pm

django
(@django)
Reputable Member

whats the ammo limit for deployed support weapons?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2011 5:20 pm

Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member

I think I'm right in saying 1500 rounds.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2011 6:33 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Yes, Jimbo is correct. Initial post amended.

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2011 7:03 pm

Boshman
(@boshman)
Noble Member

I can't find any rifle in my good book that looks identical. Possibilities would be a Norwegian Krag-Jorgensen or a Hungarian 7.92mm model 98/40 - but I have no pics of any rifle with a mag like that. :?

I think I have finally figured out what that rifle is! Springfield M1903 Air Service. Issued to Pilots in WW1

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2011 11:04 am

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

Almost... certainly very close. But I think the mag is at a different angle and the bolt is different.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2011 11:13 am

Boshman
(@boshman)
Noble Member

Almost... certainly very close. But I think the mag is at a different angle and the bolt is different.

I think its hard to tell with the bolt as it appears to be in a semi-open position with the bolt handle sticking straight up.

Mag angle, hmmm, again hard to tell, but the Mag itself looks identical and has the same shape, bottom angle and ridge near the front.

The stock looks pretty spot on too. It's pitty you cant see the front end of the rifle as that would clinch it!

If it aint, then I damned if I know what else it could possibly be. Mag is totally wrong for it to be a G98 or Vz.24 with trench mag or a Finish Mosin with trench mag.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2011 11:29 am

Universal Gunner
(@universal-gunner)
Reputable Member

I think its hard to tell with the bolt as it appears to be in a semi-open position with the bolt handle sticking straight up.

Mag angle, hmmm, again hard to tell, but the Mag itself looks identical and has the same shape, bottom angle and ridge near the front.

The stock looks pretty spot on too. It's pitty you cant see the front end of the rifle as that would clinch it!

If it aint, then I damned if I know what else it could possibly be. Mag is totally wrong for it to be a G98 or Vz.24 with trench mag or a Finish Mosin with trench mag.

I agree about the bolt and the mag - that it is difficult to tell that is. The fore stock looks spot on but isn't the butt totally different - it looks shaped, hmm don't know the term but there's a sort of grip like the Lee Enfield whereas the Springfield is just straight. Or is my eyesight letting me down again.

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2011 12:01 pm

Boshman
(@boshman)
Noble Member

I agree about the bolt and the mag - that it is difficult to tell that is. The fore stock looks spot on but isn't the butt totally different - it looks shaped, hmm don't know the term but there's a sort of grip like the Lee Enfield whereas the Springfield is just straight. Or is my eyesight letting me down again.

Yes it does look like it could have a slight pistol grip shape :?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2011 12:14 pm

stof
(@stof)
Prominent Member

My money is on a Mauser Gewehr 98,various manufacturers experimented with an extended 10,20 and 25 round "trench" magazine ,not a success because the spring pressure caused jams and was hard to load,stock and action both look right for it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2011 12:27 pm

Page 1 / 4

Share: