Notifications
Clear all

Torches

Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

As we are striving for WW2 atmosphere we do not want any billion watt lumin SAS Blind your eyes torches to spoil the atmosphere. To that end if people want to get a torch period looking these are perfectly good adequate stand ins

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWEDISH-ARMY- ... SwubRXFjcz

Anyway with one of these the suspense is real as I guess you can see about 10 feet in front of you in the dark.

I know they are probably nothing like Russian torches, if such a thing existed even, so if anyone has a good link or stand in torch for them please share.

Topic starter Posted : 11/10/2016 6:07 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Those make a good stand-in for WW2 period torches. If you are very organised then the colour filters can be more handy than the torch itself - its very difficult to know who you see moving in the distance, so positive ID can be very useful. And also useful to the enemy when they learn of your system and trick you or avoid you. Non-verbal passwords need to be changed like verbal passwords, else it can get messy!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2016 2:22 pm

(@lord-elpus)
Prominent Member

I've got this, and I've just got it to work, hasn't worked for more than 20 year!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2016 4:39 pm

(@lord-elpus)
Prominent Member

Now I know it's Yankee, but they must have sent these on The Lend Lease program, according to the list, they sent 140,000 torches, just doesn't say which type!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2016 4:42 pm

Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

Looks good to me for Ruskie stuff Duller the better :rofl:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/10/2016 6:19 pm

(@lord-elpus)
Prominent Member

I think the photo makes it look brighter than it really is, after modern torches, these old things are quite sad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2016 6:33 pm

Jay7
(@jay7)
Reputable Member

Picked up a post war East German torch for peanuts,looks the part and its that poor I think the room actually gets darker when you switch it on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2016 8:52 am

(@lord-elpus)
Prominent Member

I think I might take two torches, ............a spare to find the one I've just switched on! :shock:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2016 12:13 pm

(@slick63)
Noble Member

As we are striving for WW2 atmosphere we do not want any billion watt lumin SAS Blind your eyes torches to spoil the atmosphere. To that end if people want to get a torch period looking these are perfectly good adequate stand ins

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWEDISH-ARMY- ... SwubRXFjcz

Anyway with one of these the suspense is real as I guess you can see about 10 feet in front of you in the dark.

I know they are probably nothing like Russian torches, if such a thing existed even, so if anyone has a good link or stand in torch for them please share.

The Soviet torches looked just like that but without the different filters option.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2016 9:41 am

Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

we dont need no steeinking torches.

i forgot mine last time and managed fine feeling my way round in the dark.
it adds a great "unknown" factor.

also i once snook up on chomley, in the draklow tunnels in the pitch black, and he really did jump..
Happy memories :D

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2016 9:46 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Pish. I knew there was something behind me but in the dark you always think something is behind you. Blimmin ghosties.... :shock:
But Porta is right - you will find you just use a torch for examining maps or looking for dropped kit or safely returning to base without getting shot - much better to let your eyes acclimatise and take things slowly. And scaring the shit out of someone is fun...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2016 9:10 am

Allenby
(@allenby)
Noble Member

Ghosties?!

Jesus, i'll ping Derek Accorah an invite... or is that Clinton Baptiste? :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2016 9:47 am

(@lord-elpus)
Prominent Member

Got one of those Swedish torches, works well, much better than that American piece of junk I've got! They are made of plastic, but I reckon they can be " antiqued" so they look the part.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2016 10:14 pm

Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

Guys time is moving on now so It would be really beneficial if you had tourches.

Its dark and scary down there

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/11/2016 7:25 pm

Share: