Let's hear everyone's opinions

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@jerry-a-trick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi to all attendees of this game
I would like all your input to this post so that when I am able to attend a game later I can improve my toys.
Do you think this game has raised the bar on effects with pyro or was it to much?
Not trying to big myself up but it's surprising what effects you can do with a little pyro & a big imagination (& a lot of wire)
Firstly I would like to apologise for my booby-trap not goingoff on the Brits patrol but when I checked it a wire had come out so it failed & when I repaired the thing I tripped it on me hence the mass of bangs & barrage you all may have heard mid morning.
Secondly I would like to apologise to my conrad at the mortar pits that had a full on barrage go into the bush he was hiding in due to cake falling over but lucky it was the last shot to go off.
I did hear that the Brits nearly pooped their pants when they were hit with our barrage & I hope it sounded as good to them as it did to us.
Myself I think it was superb & enhanced the game more but I would like to know what everyone else thought of it all.
If your thoughts are positive ones the let me know so I may improve for the next time but if your thoughts are negative then speak to Gordon & Co as it was all their idea & they told me what & who to blow up & if I didn't do what I was told they would make me play with the bloody Brits. :lol:
I do hope you all enjoyed it all & until next time
See ya
Peter :good:

Posted : 08/05/2016 6:48 pm
Bravo-2-6
(@bravo-2-6)
Estimable Member

I think the pyros worked perfectly, it was the first match that I have played with the use of large scale pyros and it was pretty damn amazing.

The mortar attack on the British base was pretty intense, defiantly had some running for cover :P

Even being in the American squad, it added to the experience hearing explosions going off in the distance!

Very well done, I Loved it :D

Jack

Designated Support Gunner- Maybe one day i may actually hit someone!

Armoury
Germany: MG42, MP40, Mauser M712
Italy: Berretta M38A
U.S.A: M1918SLR B.A.R
U.K: Lee Enfield SMLE

Posted : 08/05/2016 6:58 pm
Granger
(@granger)
Noble Member

The barrage on the British HQ did shit me up a bit and we all ran for cover. I thought they really added to the atmosphere. The explosions in the distance were pretty good too.

Top marks mate and thank you :good:

Regards,

Ralph

Posted : 08/05/2016 7:20 pm
Death Warrant
(@death-warrant)
Reputable Member

Have to agree with the others, the pyro really added a new dimension to the days gaming, added to the immersion for me. Having explosions going off in the distance really added to the atmosphere.

I look forward to more of this at future events. I personally cant see why there would be any negative feedback re pyro. It only made a great day even better, what's not to love about things that go BOOM!

Love your work, keep it up :good:

Phil

Posted : 08/05/2016 7:44 pm
the lone Marine
(@the-lone-marine)
Eminent Member

Thought all the pyro definitely added a lot to the game. The mortar attack on the British HQ worked really well as none of us were expecting it at all. Also thought the amount of pyro used in the German's final assault was amazing as grenade after grenade just kept flying towards us.
Overall would deffinitily agree that the game would definitely not have been the same without the pyro and cannot wait for the next game :good:

"How f***ed are we now, on Guadalcanal?"

Posted : 08/05/2016 8:13 pm
(@jerry-a-trick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

You can have a stupid amount of fun with pyro as long as you remember it's other people's safety that your playing with hence why all the pyro for the barrage on the Brits c.p. was outside of the barrier so no one would be near the maroons as they can make your ears ring for some time if thay go off close to you.
But at the mortar pit where we fired the pyro for the effect of artillery one of the barrage cakes fell over on its last shot hitting me in the leg rolling down the bank into the bushes & then exploding behind one of my comrades sending phosphorus everywhere.
Today I have a big 4in diameter black bruise on my leg from it but hay it was worth it. (I just wish I could have seen the reaction of everyone at the other end when it all went off.
Still there will always be a next time & I'm glad it made everyone's experience better.
See ya
Peter :good:

Posted : 08/05/2016 9:43 pm
(@mattywheels)
Noble Member

Set piece pyro can really enhance a game as well as control troop movements to keep a scenario running on track (I.e. using an artillery barrage as a means to re position troops whilst you keep others stationary), so I'm always in favor of such actions :)

The mortars worked really well when assaulting both German and the Allied HQ's and the fact that they can cause casualties can really decide a mission.

I think balance is the key.

Thanks for running the pyro this weekend Peter!

Posted : 09/05/2016 8:58 am
(@jerry-a-trick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Set piece pyro can really enhance a game as well as control troop movements to keep a scenario running on track (I.e. using an artillery barrage as a means to re position troops whilst you keep others stationary), so I'm always in favor of such actions :)

The mortars worked really well when assaulting both German and the Allied HQ's and the fact that they can cause casualties can really decide a mission.

I think balance is the key.

Thanks for running the pyro this weekend Peter!

My pleasure as I love a game with plenty of bangs & it will always encourage others to put more effort into the game & newbies to book on again which is what this hobby needs.
I am mad but it wouldn't be me if I wasn't & it's not about the cast of it all its about having fun & for others to have fun with you after all we are only playing with toys.
See ya.
Peter
P.s once again without bigging myself up it puts a big grin on my face & I am so chuffed that so many of my fellow players weather friend or foe enjoyed it all & that was my intention. :happyswing: :happyswing:

Posted : 09/05/2016 12:21 pm
dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

The only extra thing would be to use a barrage as a precurser to an infantry assault rather than just as an effect on its own ,not a critisism at all as all your efforts were well worth it and it added a lot to the day.

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

Posted : 09/05/2016 8:12 pm
Granger
(@granger)
Noble Member

The only extra thing would be to use a barrage as a precurser to an infantry assault rather than just as an effect on its own ,not a critisism at all as all your efforts were well worth it and it added a lot to the day.

That would be a pretty good idea. Imagine how it'd look if a pload of explosions went off then a section of paras came running through the smoke.

Regards,

Ralph

Posted : 10/05/2016 10:05 am
Allenby
(@allenby)
Noble Member

I always like that. I'd like to simulate a full fire mission; smoke for spotting round then a fire for effect with the remotes! :good:

Posted : 10/05/2016 5:37 pm
(@jerry-a-trick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

As to the pyro I only set it all out & fired the folly from the German mortar pits then Graham set off the barrage around the Brits base.
As to where the pyro was placed the only person that knew was myself that is why it all went off outside the Brits base so no-one would get harmed by the pyro.
Your comments are very positive as the barrage would have been better going off prior to the German onslaught at the end of the day.
Im not putting the organisers game play down but they may be thinking the same thing & as this is possibly the first time for most of us to attempt this effect & I was chuffed with the result as we're Gordon & Co plus you only learn from your mistakes ( but this wasn't a mistake it was just the first of maybe many to Come).
See ya
Peter

Posted : 10/05/2016 6:17 pm
Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

Points all noted I think you are all probably right would have been better to start an attack .

Posted : 10/05/2016 6:25 pm
Universal Gunner
(@universal-gunner)
Reputable Member

Points all noted I think you are all probably right would have been better to start an attack .

It was fine as it was. It was seen as a mortar attack and we then attacked the mortar pits.

Whenever it come it adds to the feel. At Il Giogio I was a casualty of the placed artillery fire and at Merville when we got held up we called in a navy barrage, all good fun. The more the better!

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.

Posted : 10/05/2016 6:42 pm
dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

I meant absolutely no critisism of anybody just an evolution .

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

Posted : 10/05/2016 8:56 pm
(@jerry-a-trick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I meant absolutely no critisism of anybody just an evolution .

That's what I thought.
You only mentioned that it would be good to use before an attack by infantry not that it was done wrong.
Your comment was a positive one the same as everyone's on this subject.
I am only trying to put it to everyone that I think that we had raised the bar on effects within a game.
Peter

Posted : 11/05/2016 3:03 am
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

An in-game barrage is always a fun thing, although there is a tendency for people to stand around and watch rather than take cover.

I enjoyed the mortars, especailly the 'wtf' expressions on peoples faces.

Nothing can top the bombing attack at preceded by a real P-47 at Kasserine Pass through. I don't know how the organisers managed to pull tat one off :good:

The air raid at Crete was also good, especially the way it knocked bits of the roof off.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.
Arnhem3,Gumrak,Campoleone

Posted : 11/05/2016 9:00 am
(@jerry-a-trick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well I'm not going to comment anymore on the subject except wait till I'm up & able to run around like a little kid with my toy gun again & I'll promise you all a noisy game you won't forget.
I'll have something up my sleeve as I will have plenty of time to think about it while I'm laid up. :D
See ya
Peter

Posted : 11/05/2016 5:36 pm
Share: