Notifications
Clear all

Airborne Sidearm

Granger
(@granger)
Noble Member

Evening all!

My local skirmishing site does not allow full auto weapons in their cqb area so I am looking to use a sidearm for this particular game type so I can still take part. I have been looking into buying a Browning hi power (I've always been a fan of that gun) and found a Canadian browning holster to fit my webbing.

Where abouts on the webbing was the holster worn?

Regards,

Ralph

Topic starter Posted : 18/11/2014 8:05 pm
(@rangereuan)
Estimable Member

Hi chap,

Depends entirely on the impression you're portraying. Are you going for Airborne officer or enlisted man? Depends on what sort of webbing you have...I wear mine on my right hand side, to the right of my Sten gun magazine pouch...underneath the pistol ammo pouch.

Did you see my post with regards to the Sten, chap?

Best regards

Euan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2014 8:18 pm
Granger
(@granger)
Noble Member

Underneath the ammo pouch? Is there a loop or strip that hands from the mag pouch?

I'll have to move the water bottle to the left side. Doesn't look like enough space for both.

I did see your post, I'll reply to that shortly.

Regards,

Ralph

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/11/2014 8:59 pm
Ramsay00105
(@ramsay00105)
Honorable Member

A more proper adaption is to replace an ammo pouch with a brace attachment and fix the holster and pistol mag pouch in front of it.
Hanging the holster from beneath the mag pouch has been described as wrong or farby. However many senior officers are shown in pictures doing exactly that.
You may already know that side arms were not that widely used by the British. Some Airborne Bren gunners did carry pistols. Otherwise it is troops who were just armed with pistols like stretcher bearers and officers.
Like you for airsoft I need to carry a pistol as well sometimes. I carry on the left behind the ammo pouch for a cross draw. It is not a fast draw but I have yet to play a game where this would have made a difference. My main problem has been keeping the gas in my Browning until I needed to use it!

15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2014 1:48 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

Whereas on the occasions I need a pistol I have both a Browning and a Webley holster, either of which goes on the right side behind the universal pouch and in front of my water bottle. Tons of room.

My preferred weapon is my springer M1911, which has never let me down.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2014 3:31 pm
(@goodwood1944)
Eminent Member

I personally use the
WE Browning hi power
which works like a dream and i have a 37p holster and mag pouches for it I've been using the browning since February and only let me down once due and that was due to the cold under a £100 normally so worth the money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2015 7:42 pm
(@tommy9151)
Reputable Member

My sidearm's the Cyma AEP M1911. I pulled the attachment for a lanyard off and then superglue it back into place with a Webley Lanyard, yet to actually see how it performs in battle, but I'll get the chance someday.

Weapons:
King Arms M1928 Thompson Submachine Gun
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2015 12:30 pm
Granger
(@granger)
Noble Member

I ended up buying a anniversary edition 1911 that I'm really pleased with. Used it for the first time last Sunday and it worked brilliantly until one of the mags vented but I'll put that down to the cold weather. It also fits nicely into my browning holster.

Currently I have the holster on the right side behind the universal pouch but I'm thinking about using it cross draw or trying it hanging down, off the belt.

I've come across some pictures of paras with a leg holster. Was this a common thing as I haven't read anything about leg holsters in use other than with tankers.

Regards,

Ralph

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/02/2015 5:59 pm
Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

No, not at all common.
The picture you will most likely have seen is of the one chap, Capt. Killick of the FSS.
There are a few pics of him with that holster but it's always him you see.

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2015 6:03 pm
Granger
(@granger)
Noble Member

Thanks poacher, I didn't think it was common but interesting none the less.

Regards,

Ralph

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/02/2015 5:09 pm
 sly
(@sly)
Eminent Member

don't mean to side track the thread, im getting together an airborne kit and have a colt side arm, is this a correct holster?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-M-1911- ... 2ee18c42f0

make tea not war

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2015 2:18 am
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

don't mean to side track the thread, im getting together an airborne kit and have a colt side arm, is this a correct holster?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-M-1911- ... 2ee18c42f0

For British? No, not really if you're wanting to be historically correct, but would be fine for general airsofting use - it looks like quite a fantasy item they've produced there!

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2015 7:56 am
 sly
(@sly)
Eminent Member

that's a shame

make tea not war

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2015 6:06 pm
Granger
(@granger)
Noble Member

For my colt I bought a canvas, canadian browning hi power holster. Very nice.

Regards,

Ralph

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/07/2015 6:19 pm
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

Indeed, a hi-power holster would be a far better choice.

Curiously, I just had another look at that eBay repro' holster, and it looks like an odd copy of a '44 pattern pistol holster (like seen here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171873367203 ) but made out of '08/'19/'37/'40 patten type tan webbing and a non-pattern type quick release closure.

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2015 8:58 pm
Share: