What do you think s...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you think spoils an otherwise good WW2 impression?

Page 4 / 5

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Why? The same reason people shove non-standard bits on their cars or walk around with slashes in their jeans. Because it's fun and they can (and I imagine there was much attention in the safezone over Leigh's weapon). Some are purists (I happen to be) and such monstrosities have no place in WW2 airsoft but meh, great for open days. Airsoft guns are only toys!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2014 10:24 am
Allenby
(@allenby)
Noble Member

OR

Which is actually for sale on zero-in at the moment, for the love of god why??????????????????

He's probably called her Charlene as well...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2014 10:41 am
dieselmonkey
(@dieselmonkey)
Noble Member

Which is actually for sale on zero-in at the moment, for the love of god why??????????????????

Why? Well, would you want it in your possession?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2014 12:44 pm
dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

he's copying something i saw on "Son's of Guns" a tv show where they do all kind's of odd conversions to real gun's,interestingly one of the Gunsmith's on the program was appalled by what he was asked to do.

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2014 12:51 pm
HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

The MP40 is actually a piss take courtesy of CiA old sweat Neill Blume.

The Thompson is abhorrent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2014 2:20 pm
cjw957
(@cjw957)
Famed Member

3 more-- attachment is not available ---- attachment is not available ---- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2014 6:38 pm
Jimmiiee
(@jimmiiee)
Reputable Member

I've lost all faith in mankind.........

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2014 6:43 pm
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

I think I now know what my next project is...taking a hammer to them 'creations'. Just think is there a way to retro up any of the new style monkey guns?? them again don't think i can be arsed..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2014 8:22 pm
(@earbymarts)
Eminent Member

As a complete newbie to WW2 and frankly almost a complete newbie to airsoft in general I find this thread both informative and entertaining. I come from a background in re-enactment and to be honest I was ultimately put off to some extent by what I call the 'stitch-counting' brigade, the attitude where the kit and the absolute need to have it correct went before everything else and all discussion reverted back to what I have/what you have is right/wrong etc. Frankly its boring. More than one poster has highlighted a truism about re-enactment whether its the historical display stuff or the airsoft meet/skirmish or somewhere in between... That the attitude and deportment of the man (or woman..!) in the uniform is so much more important than the uniform itself. A loadout can be worked upon, improved and developed. However an arse is an arse - whatever he (or she..!) is wearing. For me this is certainly the most important element. I like to work roughly on the 10-paces rule. Does the kit look in keeping with the event to an 'ordinary' person at 10-paces? If so I'm in a decent place to start with and improvements can follow from there. If not, then maybe I need to look at myself a bit first. I totally agree with the comments about headgear being so important however, WW2 helmets are almost iconic and most people would spot an incorrect one, even laymen.

For myself I am too new into this whole 'sport'/hobby to offer much of an opinion about what would wind me up. Hair too long/pony tails? maybe. Stupid face masks possibly but if the player is u18 most sights I know off require full face protection anyway and so long as its 'sensible'... Are WW2 games different? Personally I wear glasses and have just invested a smallish sum in some goggles that have my prescription lenses fitted inside. Joy! I can now see where I am shooting! I would be miffed if so important a thing to my enjoyment was the cause of grief to others....

“It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.”
― Robert E. Lee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2014 7:39 pm
dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

eye protection is a point that can never be avoided for as long as we play this game , the huge ski masks or paint ball masks can be avoided and lower face masks of a more subtle nature are encouraged but at the end of the day they are you'r eyes and teeth and you must protect them as you see fit.

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2014 8:15 pm
Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

what I call the 'stitch-counting' brigade, the attitude where the kit and the absolute need to have it correct went before everything else

I like that, 'stitch counting', did you think that up?
How long did you do re-enacting before you had had enough?

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2014 11:47 pm
Tarnish
(@tarnish)
Estimable Member

When it comes to WW2 I am primarily a reenactor, started in 2002 with the Screaming Eagles LHG and since 2007 with the 4th Wilts LHG. For my own uniform and equipment I try to have it as correct as possible, I wear Guarder safety glasses with clear lenses fitted and if I wear gloves it'll be M1943 ones if Yank and good old issue wool gloves if British. When I started playing airsoft in 1999 it was DPM all the way even if I was carrying a Thompson, since becoming a reenactor sadly I now NEED to wear the right kit for the gun e.g. M65s & M56 webbing with my M14 or L85A2 and correct British Army kit. Sad innit?

As for other players at WW2 events I may inwardly wince at the long hair and facial piercings etc I seen in the past but it's not my problem, as long as I've personally made the effort I can let non reanactors off.

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk 2

-Marc-

4th Wilts LHG

WW2 armoury: WA M1911A1 SCW, TM M1A1 TSMG, AGM STEN Mk2, AGM MP40, S&S M1 Garand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2014 12:36 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

I now NEED to wear the right kit for the gun e.g. M65s & M56 webbing with my M14 or L85A2 and correct British Army kit. Sad innit?

Sad? no. Entirely right and proper.

I have 68 pattern DPM to go with my SLR and S95 both temperate and desert for my L85A1 (and Flecktarn for the G3, Strichtarn for the AK). Along with all the WW2 stuff. I might have a set of the much unloved 85 pattern DPM too, although some of the blue buttons have been redeployed to help the 68 :)

I regard it as collecting 1:1 scale Action Man outfits.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2014 2:03 pm
(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

A loadout can be worked upon, improved and developed. However an arse is an arse - whatever he (or she..!) is wearing

Well said.

To be fair (and I seldom feel like being fair) for every 100 new people I meet in WW2 airsoft and re-enacting, maybe one is a card-carrying arse.
People who I thought were arses on internet fora often turned out to be nice peeps in the flesh.

I remember some time ago getting very cross because my AK 47 was no longer permitted at CIA games. I thought they were being arses. Now I agree with them wholeheartedly. It spoils it for others and devalues the effort that other people put into getting a good impression - be it 10 feet or 10mm.

A cracking read for anyone who has done these hobbies is Tim Moore's book "I Believe in Yesterday". He mentions something called "Period Rush", where for a few seconds you actually believe that you are in the timeframe that you have dressed for.
I've never had Period Rush at any re-enactment event, however good the participants are. WWII airsoft on the other hand, for all the criticism it draws from the re-enactment crowd, has done it for me a number of times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2014 3:36 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member

A cracking read for anyone who has done these hobbies is Tim Moore's book "I Believe in Yesterday". He mentions something called "Period Rush", where for a few seconds you actually believe that you are in the timeframe that you have dressed for.
I've never had Period Rush at any re-enactment event, however good the participants are. WWII airsoft on the other hand, for all the criticism it draws from the re-enactment crowd, has done it for me a number of times.

Totally agree.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2014 3:52 pm
Nurglitch
(@nurglitch)
Reputable Member

I have had it repeatedly in re-enactment. Night battle, burning houses, cannon fire kicking your diaphragm around, screams, formation firing commands and frantically reloading the 21mm musket to fire at the advancing infantry (barely seen through the smoke) will do that for you.

As to the "stitch-counting" in my years in re-enactment I have very rarely met people who really drew their fun from belittling others. Usually you are told your gear is wrong because it is. This is done by people who do know their stuff and will gladly share their knowledge to help you improve. Re-enactment is about getting the gear right, this is the very top priority. This attitude has no place in LARP and may be interfering with WW2 airsoft, but in re-enactment it is the core of the hobby.

As to the period rush in WW2 airsoft... I'm actually closest outside of combat. Laying in the drizzling rain behind the 30cal or hiding in a dugout during the night listening for infiltrators got me close. But as soon as the vibrator sounds from AEGs start I am completely out of it :(

Kitwhore files: S&S Lee Enfield No. 4, AGM Sten Mk. II, Tanaka Kar 98k, WE Luger P08
Wishlist: AGM Stg44, possible LE No. 4 gas project

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2014 5:13 pm
(@earbymarts)
Eminent Member

what I call the 'stitch-counting' brigade, the attitude where the kit and the absolute need to have it correct went before everything else

I like that, 'stitch counting', did you think that up?
How long did you do re-enacting before you had had enough?

No I can't claim any credit for the term... it was one we would sometimes use for those who's enjoyment was found in period accuracy to the 'enth degree'. Incidentally, I do not suggest, as was implied by another poster, Nurglitch, that those engaged in this particular side of re-enactment were doing so to "'draw fun' at belittling others" but there was certainly an element of what I feel was 'one-upmanship' about it. Accuracy in re-enactment is clearly the aim and I get that totally, but I think in my defense what I was referring to was something quite different and arguably quite destructive. My uniform and presentation was to the best of my knowledge was good even at close inspection but even then I was put off by this frankly boring, onward push to be ever more 'accurately dressed than the other guys' when in point of fact in terms of what we know about the period I was engaged with - American Civil War - there is so much we do NOT know with any great accuracy so there was always some room for interpretation or indeed misinterpretation. It may just be a difference of outlook and attitude?

In respect of the period rush I completely agree that for me the best rush was actually around the camp fire late at night, sharing the hip flask and telling stories of 'battles' fought that day or years before. I am looking forward to seeing if I get the same rush - or any rush - in a WW2 airsoft engagement

“It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.”
― Robert E. Lee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2014 7:05 pm
(@prideofengland)
Noble Member

Well I think we have had some great responses on this thread. Its been very interesting to see peoples views on the little things that spoil an impression, some of which had occured to me, others I had given little thought too. Of course I am frustrated that being too old and portly I will never have a good impression or look good in photographs and must admit I am very jealous of the young slim players who always look so much more authentic than me.

However on the plus side the WW2 airsoft community is one of the freindliest I have encountered and forgiving of my mistakes. I must also say that the wide variety and expectations of the differant game organisers allow veterans and newcomers alike the opportunity to attend events whatever the level of kit.

I have not encountered a single person I would count as a "stitch counter". Advice is often given but always for the most positive of reasons, perhaps some people take an implied criticism when it is just advice offered with good intentions? We can all be defensive at times. Any way looking forward to the Foy game but if the Pioneer Zug do not all have gas masks in their canisters theres going to be trouble

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/03/2014 8:39 pm
Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

There are some interesting memos about the loss of equipment that did the rounds in Mid-late 1944.
Loss of the rifle, MP or gas mask were to be charged along with a denial of furlough and possible loss of 'canteen privileged' inc tobacco products.

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2014 10:01 pm
HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

I was the victim of Period Rush during a rather awkward fumble with a young lady back in the mid-90s. It's fair to say it doesn't feature as one of the highlights of my coital resumé.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2014 10:51 pm
Page 4 / 5
Share: