Notifications
Clear all

Parka's?

shellshokt
(@shellshokt)
Reputable Member

Instead of a greatcoat, are the reversible parka's exceptable? If so which is the better option: Mouse grey/White or Water tan/White? I was considering buying one anyway but would be a bonus if it was ok to use on the event, I expect it is going to be flippin cold in February!
Thanks
'shokt

"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom"
H.L.Mencken

Topic starter Posted : 29/10/2011 10:59 am
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Funnily enough, I have never felt it to be cold enough to wear an overcoat except at an evening social. I remember going to an open day at Worthing in January, lying on frozen ground, and feeling quite toasty in my wools with a wool jumper underneath my tunic. Anyway, maybe that's just me. :D

In answer to your question Steve, I think parkas started being introduced late 42, and for me they conjour up very much a mid-late war look, which is not really what we're aiming for. Save your money - get some nice grey wool gloves, and ask Mrs Shellshokt if she could knit you a grey jumper! (OK, my wife doesn't knit, so my mum made mine.)

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/10/2011 11:33 am
Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

You certainly would not have seen the sumpfmuster camo [thats tan and water]at that time. It did not appear until 1943.
Also parka and trousers were issued as a set, if it was cold enough for the parka it was cold enough for the trousers too. You dont often find just the parka in photos.
They are not comfortable to wear in a tactical situation either. Big and bulky they restrict movement to a degree and you need to be able to add a couple of inches to your belt to get your kit over them.
Stick to the greatcoat, much easier to fight in.

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/10/2011 1:16 pm
shellshokt
(@shellshokt)
Reputable Member

Ok, any recommendations on:
Jumpers , shirts and I was looking at a swedish greatcoat as a 'lookalike' If you have any ideas on lookalike jumpers and shirts that would be cool too as the repro shirts seem to be a ridiculous price!
'shokt

"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom"
H.L.Mencken

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/10/2011 9:28 am
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure if there were issued jumpers (anyone?) - many were knitted by family. I spent a long time looking for (and failing to find) a crew neck grey jumper, although V neck ones are quite common - try ebay. As for shirts, I got a couple of collarless ones for a few quid - again on ebay. They look the part.

I don't know about the differences with Swedish greatcoats, but often converting non-German items to look German can take a lot of time and effort.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2011 1:49 pm
shellshokt
(@shellshokt)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the great advice guys

H.L.Mencken

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/10/2011 2:29 pm
Gollob
(@gollob)
Eminent Member

I'm not sure if there were issued jumpers (anyone?) - many were knitted by family. I spent a long time looking for (and failing to find) a crew neck grey jumper, although V neck ones are quite common - try ebay. As for shirts, I got a couple of collarless ones for a few quid - again on ebay. They look the part.

I don't know about the differences with Swedish greatcoats, but often converting non-German items to look German can take a lot of time and effort.

Not an expert in anyway on German kit (apart from East German ) Ostfront did a repro M36 issue jumper, light grey, V necked, ribbed collar and cuffs, with a green band below the edge of the collar and cuffs. Soldier of fortune do german shirts, but look to be limited to eastgerman jumpers £20.

Everything for the Front. Everything for Victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2011 8:59 pm
(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Ok, any recommendations on:
Jumpers , shirts and I was looking at a swedish greatcoat as a 'lookalike' If you have any ideas on lookalike jumpers and shirts that would be cool too as the repro shirts seem to be a ridiculous price!
'shokt

For the purposes of this game a Swedish coat will be fine. Any "traditional" style jumper is also fine. Surplus green British Army shirts are a budget alternative to repro shirts as you can hardly see them under a tunic.

The mistake is always to wear too much. Comfortably warm at 8 in the morning when standing around becomes dripping with sweat by lunchtime after you've been running around

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2011 7:53 am
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Comfortably warm at 8 in the morning when standing around becomes dripping with sweat by lunchtime after you've been running around

Or digging foxholes...!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2011 8:12 am
django
(@django)
Reputable Member

epic militaria are currently selling some post war soviet great coats for only £25, not sure if they will be near to the look you want but..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/11/2011 7:15 pm
Gollob
(@gollob)
Eminent Member

Those are Bulgarian. The cut, colour, buttons and insignia are all different to soviet patterns.

Everything for the Front. Everything for Victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2011 9:51 pm
django
(@django)
Reputable Member

oh well, better wear 2 pairs of socks instead.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2011 10:09 pm
Share: