Problems with a jap...

Notifications
Clear all

Problems with a japanese side

Page 2 / 4

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

What about a moderator putting a voting thingy up with the voting buttons like Where are you from thread. The results I think are interesting and also helpful for potential organisers. Who knows you may be supprised by how many or how few votes would be cast. Depending on the results would influence the future outcome of any event to be organised.

You can do this poll yourself if you wish, it doesn't need a moderator. However, what people say they will do and what they actually do are poles apart. On top of that scaleyback has said PBI aren't interested in elite troops, so I guess that is the USMC out of the picture for future games. Furthermore, I can say CiA won't be running a Pacific scenario event in 2010 and without even consulting any of my fellow CiA team I can safely say we won't be running one in 2011 either! (Never say never, but that is 20 months into the future!)

BTW, did the Japanese have elite paratroops? Might be a game there - USMC vs Nippon Para.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2010 6:54 pm
Colosseum
(@colosseum)
Estimable Member

I'm not interested in the USMC because of their "legendary" status... in fact that "US Marine"-ness is one of the reasons I did not join the Marine Corps. Too many crazies for me.

I just like World War II USMC because they seem to be one of the "ignored" parties in World War II history ever since Brand of Bothers and Saving Private Ryan came out.

Plus they have camo. :P

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2010 6:58 pm
Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

With "the pacific" coming out, it's highlighting a generation gap! When someone says "US Marine Corps" to me, I think of John Wayne and "the sands of Iwo Jima", not modern, high budget stuff by Spielberg.

I personally have no interest in organising, nor taking part in a "Pacific" themed game, despite my knowledge of Bushido (and I've been a Kendo student for 10 years, so I actually know how to use a sword!). Good luck to anyone who does try though.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2010 7:08 pm
Colosseum
(@colosseum)
Estimable Member

Yeah, the old John Wayne movies are what comes to mind with me as well when someone says USMC WWII.

Saddle up!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2010 8:59 pm
Old Un
(@old-un)
Illustrious Member

hmmm whats the point comes to my mind ....however I can do full rubber katanas if anyone wants them for £120 a shot :D a knife kill to Banzai for

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2010 10:32 pm
Pete_59
(@pete_59)
Noble Member

I don't have a problem with doing Japanese, if it wasn't for my financial situation I would probably already have a loadout, however my biggest problem with a PTO senario is that a lot of us are pushing the bounderies of belief for ETO senarios with regard to our age and size, (both height and girth, and I include myself in that ), how believable will it be with a 5' 10" 215 pound caucasian portraying a 5' 3" 125 pound japanese, unless of course they had a sumo westlers 'pals' battalion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2010 7:27 am
JD7
 JD7
(@jd7)
Illustrious Member

a sumo westlers 'pals' battalion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2010 9:10 am
(@scaleyback)
Famed Member

oh pete you are a one........

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2010 3:09 pm
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

(and I've been a Kendo student for 10 years, so I actually know how to use a sword!)..

Is there no end to your talents, Pete ? Hang on a minute... you're not this guy, are you?

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2010 2:43 pm
(@mikoyan99)
Reputable Member

Can't believe i've missed this so far;

Chomely-Warner, yes indeed the Japanese had paratroopers, both Army and Navy. The SNLF (special navy landing forces, i.e marines) were also "elite" troops. Both forces were the most prolific users of sub-machine guns, especially early on in the war.

The simplest Japanese kit is simply a Khaki/tan Jumpsuit and Japanese cap - admittedly it was only being worn by mechanics, but the Japanese were often desperate enough to send second-line troops in. I don't think it'd hurt to have a few of the Japanese side in such uniforms, especially if the game was set around an airfield.

There is also a weapons guide available, with details of substitutes. Plenty of NWE weapons can be used; the Japanese were prolific in their use of captured weapons, especially automatic ones, and a number of Swiss/Italian/German weapons were employed by the Japanese. There's also a sten to type-100 conversion guide lurking somewhere in the weapons section.

In terms of height, Japanese soldiers weren't actually that short - it was propaganda spread about by the allies that created that image. Some of the elite units only "accepted" soldiers taller than 6'!
Also i'd gues that people in the 40's were generally shorter anyway, thanks to rationing and slight malnutrition.

As for terrain, fighting in the height of summer (well, June/July) should solve that problem. Just choose a low lying site that's nice and swampy/humid/overgrown should be OK; a place I used to fight at was perfect, perhaps too perfect!
Failing that, remeber not all of the fighting took place in tropical conditions; the UK isn't quite as exotic as, say Hong Kong, but that's not to say there isn't a resemblance in some places.
Hope that helps,
-Matt

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2010 12:34 am
Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

i think a japanese game would be fun, but it would never happen, its hard enough getting games full without another uniform to buy.

as for all the fuss about the pacific on sky, ive not watched it or ever will, ive no interest on the USMC, or the way that spielburg will portray them.

saving ryans privates was another example of spielburgs propaganda that i unfortuantly watched, never again.

ive got the same image as spiers had, a full 25 man side all decked out in USMC kit all hooh har`ing away, like a bunch of fucking pirates, and one or two japanese "targets" giving them all something to high cap at

webby had a good USMC kit, long before all the "pacific" bullshite started, it looked good too.

and if pbi ever did a game against the japs, i would consider doing a looks like jap for a day, as i would be interested in a jap vs brit game (im thinking of the michael caine film too late the hero ) even 5 jap snipers (in trees of course ) ..... (with decent bolt actions) against maybe 10 to 15 PBI patroling, maybe a good scenario if it was summer and decent folliage around

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2010 11:36 am
Colosseum
(@colosseum)
Estimable Member

Again, my interest in the WW2 USMC stems more from Flags of Our Fathers than The Pacific... I mean sure the new miniseries helps but I've kind of wanted to do a USMC impression for about a year now. I just thankfully got on board before every idiot decides they want to switch from 101st Easy Company to PFC Robert Leckie and the cost of the gear skyrockets.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2010 12:36 am
Rooster
(@rooster)
Reputable Member

This has been dead for a while i can see but its intresting so My thoughts on this,
A Japanese force wearing Khaki Brit Lightwights
any weapons from the ww2 period ideally Boltactions, stens (type 100?) and Ruger Mk1 pistols as Nambus
and a force of mixed Brit, Anzac, commonwealth and of course USMC
i remember a few years ago reading simalar comments about Eastern Front games, and now look where we are, Boyozon, Border Clash have been done we have the CIA one in July, minsk and then Anarchy under the eagle
I would ideally like to play Aussie but if there was a shortage in numbers i would deffinatly go Jap.
Just my 2p

WW2 Weapons AGM Sten, AGM MP40

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/05/2011 10:42 pm
(@mikoyan99)
Reputable Member

Exactly what we tried last year; no luck unfortunately. If we end up eventually doing a Far East game, we'll have to get people into the proper uniforms or we won't get the required number of re-enactors coming down - there aren't enough airsofters with the right kit to make a game viable.
-Matt

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/06/2011 1:04 pm
Russe11
(@russe11)
Honorable Member

I would like to do a PTO game so I can wear Jungle greens and play Aussie. What if there was a 2 day game where everyone has to play Japanese on one day or the other?
Bulk buy Japanese hats for the game and you wear khaki or pale green.
To emulate the Japanese fanaticism, let them tie the bandage on themselves and keep shooting until hit the 2nd time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2014 1:48 am
(@coatimundi)

"Jap" is generally considered an ethnic slur, just pointing that out...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2014 2:15 am
Moss
 Moss
(@moss)
Prominent Member

I would like to do a PTO game so I can wear Jungle greens and play Aussie. What if there was a 2 day game where everyone has to play Japanese on one day or the other?
Bulk buy Japanese hats for the game and you wear khaki or pale green.
To emulate the Japanese fanaticism, let them tie the bandage on themselves and keep shooting until hit the 2nd time.

I dunno about everyone having to play Japanese on one day or another, it just means twice as many people have to buy kit and that makes a Burma game even less likely, plus some people don't want to play Japanese. I do like the idea of letting the Japanese players tie their own bandages on, one person could hold off on their own after sustaining a wound/if all thier comrades died. I think that would really add to the game and as you put it emulate the fanaticism.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2014 5:25 am
Allenby
(@allenby)
Noble Member

I'd get a Japanese impression together for Burma, no problem. From a British point of view I would have thought people would be queuing up to do it; there's a solid case to make that 14th Army was the best fighting formation we fielded during the war.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2014 10:41 am
Russe11
(@russe11)
Honorable Member

Minimum Japanese loadout would be a helmet cover over a British Mk3 helmet
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E2Z-IJA-WWII- ... 3cd6a743ff
It might also work over a Pith helmet.
Then a shirt and baggy trousers preferably with long Puttees.
If you did a 2 day game where everyone plays Japanese half the time, helmets and Puttees could be shared 1 between 2 and could be made in bulk for everyone to keep costs down. Once it has been done once, everything would be in place for the next time.
It would be a much more suitable game for the middle of summer than most as everyone would be in less wool etc. Kit loaning would also be optimised as the allied uniforms would only be needed for half the weekend.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2014 11:51 am
BootedFeet
(@bootedfeet)
Honorable Member

Minimum Japanese loadout would be a helmet cover over a British Mk3 helmet
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E2Z-IJA-WWII- ... 3cd6a743ff

Or even just field caps. Looking at the shape of them it looks like it might actually be possible to replicate one from a post war soviet pilotka. Add a peak, strip of faux leather, neck cloth and a star and you're away.

I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2014 12:03 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share: