Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] German dress requirements

Page 2 / 5

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

And before a protracted and pointless debate starts - the 36th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS were not in this location on this day. OK?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/11/2009 1:16 pm

JD7
 JD7
(@jd7)
Illustrious Member

Steiner have u ordered those pencil skirts yet?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 1:19 pm

dave barrett
(@dave-barrett)
Prominent Member

I thinks.. just a great coat will do :giggle:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 1:24 pm

Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member

taking up flashing dave? ;)

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 1:28 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Steiner have u ordered those pencil skirts yet?

Yep, ordered mine, but the maximum size they do is a 24, so you'll be out of luck.

:P

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 1:34 pm

PD
 PD
(@_pd_)
Honorable Member

I concur with the Mighty Barrett! :good:

I may even dispense with a tunic and wear a dickie to display simple runes in the collar of a greatcoat. Greatcoat sans insignia to save confustication.

Stahlhelm
Mantel
Belt
ONE Ammo pouch (remember - fortification troops and guards carried ONE pouch - go Wiki THAT!) :rofl:
Bayonet (just for accuracy)
Breadbag (stuffed with munchies, and - think about it - a plastic bag and some toilet paper......YEAH? and? What were YOU gonna do? :rofl: )
Waterbottle with water in
Mess tins containing sarnies
Gas Mask tin containing nice bottle of fizzy pop!
Keilhose (feldgrau)
Marschstiefel - leather soles but no studs (I am predominantly a tank person)
Grey Wool gloves
A toque or scarf
Clear eye protection
Taschenlamp
MP40or MP44.
Rucksack to contain ammo, batteries, spare food, water etc. and any other sundry items that crop up.

There - that's me.
As for tunic - it's either me Officer's M36 or a dickie badged as SS-Man.

LOOK! I ham now four meggle man!
A001

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 1:35 pm

PD
 PD
(@_pd_)
Honorable Member

To add to the confusion (and because I have an absolutely spiffing piece of headgear) - which levy are we talking about?

and......................

can I warm up me Eintopf on an Esbit?

A001

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 1:44 pm

stof
(@stof)
Prominent Member

Does anyone no who does SS Mountain crops insignia... :?:

Nicholas Morigi does a Michael Gaissmair cuff title,which from my research into SS Gebirgsjagers seem to have the only relatively "safe" history ,they had a pretty disastrous beginning ,having run away from the Russians and then been reformed with new NCO's then proved themselves almost exclusively in Finland ,fought a pretty impressive rearguard action all the way back to Austria where they surrendered in 1945.During which they were utterly decimated from over 10,000 troops to little over 400 when they surrendered,had some very impressive action against the Yanks en route.Not to mention having been in continuous combat for an incredible 1300 plus days.
Spearhead do a passable ,and cheaper Bergmutze ,than anyone else.The Gebirgsjager Bergmutze having a shorter peak and higher crown and sides than the standard m43 cap.
SS sleeve edelweiss is the one with the black backing,supplied by Epic or Morigi,cap edelweiss is also black backed,but the metal heer one was also not uncommon(though unofficial) but should be the original with the straight stem also worn with a black backing,not the commonly sold one with the curved stem as it is actually the modern version.Collar tabs were the normal SS ones.
The puttees come in 3 different lengths ,the longer ones being early war ,normally worn with mountain boots what was much more common was to wear the trousers tucked into the socks.But period photos show that when not in the mountains they wore any of the footwear combinations worn by infantry units.
I already have my Feldgraus badged as Michael Gaissmair,and the 3 pocket mountain anorak which makes a nice change from the usual camo smock ,they would also have worn the double breasted windjacket,neither of which would normally have insignia
There are some good photos in the Brian Davis book,also on the Michael Gaissmair reenactors site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 3:39 pm

Von Straffham
(@von-straffham)
Estimable Member

Think I may follow PD's list on this - uniform wise there don't seem to be any mechanized Panzer Grenadiers so that one may be a bit out of place - so I'll be investing in a Heer tunic or greatcoat; which I've been putting off for long enough anyway. :wink:
Steel helmet (this is Kermits Normandy Camo one so again may be out of place?) or M43 cap.
Boots will be comfy modern black ones I'm afraid to keep my heels from playing up, but gaiters will be worn. :whistle:
MP40 or K98 (with gas restrictor fitted=330ish FPS)
Luger (still need a holster though :( )

The first casualty of war is innocence.
The first casualty of airsoft is your wallet!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 7:13 pm

JD7
 JD7
(@jd7)
Illustrious Member

Boots will be comfy modern black ones I'm afraid to keep my heels from playing up, but garters will be worn. :whistle:

Just lay off the stileto's for a while

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 8:12 pm

Seanebabes
(@seanebabes)
Reputable Member

The rather unsavoury Handschar divison has effectively been disbanded by this point. The German cadre used to form the division being all that was left that hadn't deserted almost as soon as they were put into combat. The cadre formed a kampfgruppe within Prinz Eugen division (who were almost as unsavoury). So I suggest you do look elsewhere for an SS Gebirgs Division, and Michael Gaissmair seems a good choice.
I think I'm right in saying that the SS used a different sleeve Edelweiss similar to below which is the officers version. Have a look at Militaria.net.
Cap Edelweiss for SS ought to be the cloth one really. The Edelweiss was a much prized and hard fought for recognition of mountain warfare competance, the SS did not achieve the same standard as the Heer in this regard and I very much doubt the Heer Gebirgsjager would have been very pleased to see the SS using their badge.
Now, how the hell do I add the picture...-- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 9:01 pm

stof
(@stof)
Prominent Member

You are absolutely right about the edelweiss,the em one was virtually identical with plain thread instead of the metallic,the cap edelweiss should also be cloth but I found a couple of pictures of metal ones used with a black cloth background and a reference ( which escapes me for the moment ) which stated they were occasionally and unofficially worn.The SS bergsfuhrer badge should also be cloth ,the heer one was metal and very jealously guarded ,to the point that if your qualification had lapsed it had to be placed on the left pocket rather the the right.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 9:43 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

It was V SS Mountain Corps in this region and as of 16 September 1944 comprised:
7. SS-Gebirgs-Division "Prinz Eugen"
369. Infanterie-Division
118th Jäger Division
13. SS-Gebirgs-Polizei-Regiment 18
none of which were in this exact area at this time

wiki shows it as:
32nd SS Volunteer Grenadier Division 30 Januar
35th SS and Police Grenadier Division
36th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS
502nd Heavy Tank Battalion
but I'm sure this lot must be after the date of this particular scenario and fought further west.

Frankly, I have no idea what exactly the V SS Mountain Corps comprised of at this exact point in time but I'm rather suspecting that the historical reference to the V SS Mountain Corps was to troops brought in to defend the north/south line that lay between Russia and Germany in general. In which case, V SS Mountain Corps specific to this scenario might be barking up the wrong tree.

Meh, stick to generic Heer and SS and we'll be laughing. Unbadged greatcoats are easy - and useful!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/11/2009 10:23 pm

che
 che
(@che)
Noble Member

feck this im wearing nowt but spinter pattern speedos & a will to win :wink:

theres nowt so Permanent as temporary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 10:28 pm

Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Quite. Its done my head in!

I'll just repeat my first post for clarity:

There are both garrisoned troops (well used to the defensive environment) and also incoming troops from elsewhere either retreating to this position or sent there to reinforce.
With this in mind there is no requirement for participants to change cuff titles (canny players won't have any in any case).
Heer Feldgrau uniform (any) /greatcoats - no camo. Both helmet and grey field cap are fine.
SS Feldgrau uniform (any) /greatcoats. Smocks & parkas & peadot camo is OK as they are incoming reinforcements. Helmet or grey/camo field cap.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/11/2009 10:37 pm

Peppered
(@peppered)
Reputable Member

Hi,

I have been looking into greatcoats (not occupied) and a German repro is around £100 but a Swedish one is £25, but the pocket flaps and collars are square cut rather than rounded.

Do people think that would look too wrong next to proper coats and it better to save up for the proper repro?

Peter Rabbit - Tank Killer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawk914/2159973655/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 10:41 pm

PD
 PD
(@_pd_)
Honorable Member

Don't skimp - Greatcoats can eb found cheaper - Try dog green 1 - A german one is far better - the belt is wrong ona swede, the collar is wrong, the pockets as you say are wrong adn you only have to arse about sourcing and replacing buttons

A001

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2009 11:36 pm

PD
 PD
(@_pd_)
Honorable Member

Pics from Aerial to demonstrate how the Feldgrau look works.......

-- attachment is not available --

A001

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2009 1:14 pm

PD
 PD
(@_pd_)
Honorable Member

And some Re-enactor Boys (Old 116 Windhund - circa 2005)

As Obidiah would say - "Smart as Paint Mother!"

A001

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2009 1:21 pm

Von Straffham
(@von-straffham)
Estimable Member

Boots will be comfy modern black ones I'm afraid to keep my heels from playing up, but garters will be worn. :whistle:

Just lay off the stileto's for a while

Garters? Hmmm me suspects foul editing at play . . . . . . . . I'll keep Andy company in his pencil skirt then. :ghey:

The first casualty of war is innocence.
The first casualty of airsoft is your wallet!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2009 1:28 pm

Page 2 / 5

Share: